PS4 now support DLNA!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: PS4 now support DLNA!

Post by SubJunk »

Hi guys,
UMS has the ability to force a profile to be used even when it doesn't match. To do this, go to the General Configuration tab, choose a default renderer down the bottom, then tick "force default renderer". After you restart UMS, every device will be detected as that renderer.
It would be great if you guys can test different profiles and see if any of them allow transcoding to PS4. One possible one is "Sony Bravia NX70x".

To make sure it is really transcoding, I recommend using the #-TRANSCODE-# folder, and selecting the FFmpeg engine from that list. That way it will never use tsMuxeR or MEncoder for example.

Thanks for all the help :)
mileleku

Post by mileleku »

Okey, I tested all profiles from sony devices as default renderer.

Only 3 Profiles were able to transcode something:
Sony Bravia NX70x
Sony SMP-N100
Sony STR-DA5800ES
Edit: Xperia Z3 profile gives the same result.
Edit2: Just tested the PS4 profile you posted earlier - same result as with the other 4 that were able to play back the mov!

I tested a .mov file, a 8bit MKV and a 10bit MKV with every profile.
I went into the Transcode folder and chose FFmpeg, just as you said.

The mov file was transcoded and played by the listed profiles, the other two files weren't played back but my PCs CPU was indeed having a heavy load for ~5 seconds until the PS4 said nope I can't play it.

Note: with all other presets the mov file didn't run! Only with these three.
Note2: When choosing "[no encoding]" for the 8bit mkv it was played back instantly but without subs.

I attached the media info of those 3 files.

Hope this helps at least a bit.
Please feel free to ask me for any additional info.
Attachments
mov.txt
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
10bit.txt
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
8bit.txt
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
creighton

Post by creighton »

SubJunk wrote:I checked and cabac=1 is being used by us too since it's a default option in x264. It could be useful to get Plex logs for a file that successfully transcodes so we can see which options are being used. They use a modified version of FFmpeg for transcoding. I would get the logs myself but I don't have a PS4. I think Plex stores logs in different places, basically the one we need is the one that passes the options to the transcoder like "-x264opts", etc.
Alright, finished testing and logging two videos from Plex to my PS4 (with the PS4 profile added in from the link earlier). They both played fine, except that they showed no content length, so the PS4 could not skip forward or reverse.

Here's the files I used:

Code: Select all

Test File 1:
flv1.flv
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Test File 2:
transcode1.mkv
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Codec: DTS Audio (dts)
And here's the part for each from Plex's log that's hopefully what you're looking for:

Test File 1 (flv1.flv):
Job running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\PlexNewTranscoder.exe "-noaccurate_seek" -i "Z:\test\flv1.flv" -map "0:0" -codec:0 "copy" -bsf:0 "h264_mp4toannexb,h264_plex" -map "0:1" -codec:1 "copy" -copypriorss:1 "0" -f "mpegts" -map_metadata "-1" "-" "-y" "-nostats" -loglevel "quiet" -loglevel_plex "error" -progressurl "http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/691700e4b268aa2a424ad414eb8b2959d3301a4f/progress"

Test file 2 (transcode1.mkv):
Job running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\PlexNewTranscoder.exe "-noaccurate_seek" -i "Z:\test\transcode1.mkv" -map "0:0" -metadata:s:0 "language=eng" -codec:0 "copy" -bsf:0 "h264_mp4toannexb,h264_plex" -map "0:1" -metadata:s:1 "language=fre" -codec:1 "aac" -strict:1 "experimental" -cutoff:1 "15000" -channel_layout:1 "5.1" -b:1 "648k" -f "mpegts" -map_metadata "-1" "-" "-y" "-nostats" -loglevel "quiet" -loglevel_plex "error" -progressurl "http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/691700e4b268aa2a424ad414eb8b2959d3301a4f/progress"  

Proxy response headers: Content-Type: video/MP2T; Connection: close; X-Plex-Protocol: 1.0; Cache-Control: no-cache // just in case this is somehow useful

I then tried the same two files on UMS:

Test File 1 (flv1.flv) Trying to play outright caused "tsMuxeR-new.exe" to crash on my PC each time I attempted to play (log: tsMuxeR-new.exe has a return code of -1073741819). Manually visiting the TRANSCODE folder and choosing either FFmpeg or MEncoder allowed it to play back fine.

Test file 2 (transcode1.mkv): Trying to play outright did not work (UMS was definitely working to transcode it, but the PS4 said it couldn't be played after about 20 seconds). Manually going to the TRANSCODE folder and choosing either FFmpeg or MEncoder had the same failed result.
Hope that may help a bit.

Edit: Tried the forced profiles that mileleku found to somewhat work:

Test File 1 (flv1.flv):
Sony Bravia NX70x: played outright, but video constantly jerked left to right. same for manual transcode with FFmpeg and MEncoder.
Sony SMP-N100: same as above
Sony STR-DA5800E5: outright play crashed tsmuxer-new.exe on my PC, manual transcode caused same video issue as above.
Sony Xperia Z: same as STR, above.

Test file 2 (transcode1.mkv):
Sony Bravia NX70x: did not play outright, or with forced transcoding
Sony SMP-N100: same as above
Sony STR-DA5800E5: outright played video, PS4 showed that audio was unsupported. manual transcode with FFmpeg and MEncoder both failed.
Sony Xperia Z: same as STR, above.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the tests, guys. Can you please try with this version of UMS? http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-d4b25b8.exe
Please post the full trace logs for it if it doesn't work, and creighton if you could please do the same for Plex that would be great. There's more information I would look for in them.
TheRiddler303

Post by TheRiddler303 »

what i noticed yesterday is, since i have an srt sub on my HD, PS4 Media Player wont load the Video at all nd returns with an error, after 30 sec.
If i remove the sub from the Folder, the Video itself works great!

Now, if i copy the video + .srt Sub to an USB Stick and plug this on into the PS4 directly, PS4 is playing the Video incl. the Subtitle flawless.

Any Idea why its not working over DLNA? Also tested with Serviio, same issue
Last edited by TheRiddler303 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mileleku

Post by mileleku »

Here is a TRACE log in which I start playing the .mov file and after that try to play a 10-bit MKV.
It might just not work for me because I'm using rather unusual formats. (I almost only have 10-bit with subs and some FLAC or AC-3 as audio.. :roll: )

Everything works on the PS3, though :D
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
radamo

Post by radamo »

Using the 5.1.5 version of UMS...
Tried to play an MKV of Avatar with DTS soundtrack
Tried FFMPEG, then Mendocoder and then straight with no transcoding.
Here are the log files.

Hope this helps... if you want me to try something specific let me know.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(2.95 MiB) Downloaded 828 times
creighton

Post by creighton »

SubJunk wrote:Thanks for the tests, guys. Can you please try with this version of UMS?
Attached (UMS.zip) is the debug/TRACE output from your provided UMS version while trying to play my flv1.flv and transcode1.mkv files. flv1.flv worked via manual transcode with FFmpeg and MEncoder as before (tsmuxer crashed trying to play outright, also as before). transcode1.mkv did not play at all.

SubJunk wrote:creighton if you could please do the same for Plex that would be great. There's more information I would look for in them.
Attached (Plex.zip) are the full logs for Plex playing flv1.flv and transcode1.mkv on my PS4. Both played fine, minus content length as mentioned earlier. I turned on debug and verbose logging, so hopefully that will provide the info you're looking for.
Attachments
UMS.zip
(55.25 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
Plex.zip
(51.56 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
carbontoast

Post by carbontoast »

SubJunk wrote:Thanks for the tests, guys. Can you please try with this version of UMS?
I tried to play an MKV via UMS from the PS4 and got the same results as others in this thread (Press Play, PS4 waits about 20 seconds then says "can't play media").

I usually run the Linux distribution but I get the same results with the Windows version UMS-d4b25b8 posted by SubJunk.

Here are the logs from doing these two actions on the PS4:
  • Playing an MKV from the root folder.
  • Playing an MKV by selecting #TRANSCODE and choosing FFMpeg (Surround 5.1)
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Play MKV from root folder, Play MKV from #TRANSCODE.
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for all the testing guys, can you please try this one? http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-Dan3.exe