PS4 now support DLNA!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
radamo

Re: PS4 now support DLNA!

Post by radamo »

Thanks for jumping on this so quickly.
spookmag

Post by spookmag »

I have just installed USM and my PS4 will not recognize it at all. PMS recognizes it but will not stream any .mkv files nor anything with DTS audio. Any Ideas?
RavenFire

Post by RavenFire »

spookmag wrote:I have just installed USM and my PS4 will not recognize it at all. PMS recognizes it but will not stream any .mkv files nor anything with DTS audio. Any Ideas?
Yeah, using the new conf file, it will play a lot of files without transcoding - assuming that they're AC3 or mp3 sound.
DTS isn't supported by the PS4, which is why it won't play it... It needs to be transcoded to AAC.
Not sure what happens if you have DTS/AC3 passthrough enabled... I'll have to play around.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

creighton wrote:Just moved over from PS3 Media Server since that appears to be defunct and UMS is still getting the attention it deserves. I built a PS4 conf file for PS3MS that would stream compatible files, but transcoding didn't work at all even after trying out various settings. The conf files for UMS are naturally very similar, and mine didn't look much different from what's laid out here so far.
SubJunk wrote:Here's the latest version of our PS4 profile, please test it
Streaming works fine with that latest profile for files that the PS4 natively supports, but pretty much anything that needs transcoded still won't play...except a couple WEBM and FLV files I have that did play while being transcoded by MEncoder (the PS4 didn't have content length though, so fast forward/reverse was not functional). Even files that would normally stream fine would not play if I tried to transcode them (to burn in subtitles and/or change audio track).

Let me know if you need specific things tested, and I can carry them out without a problem. I'm basically working with a clean install of UMS so that may help. Thanks for your work thus far SubJunk!

Also, created an icon for the PS4 (attached) for once this gets up and running - just drop it into the renderers folder.
Cool, thanks. It looks very similar to the PS4 icon that is already in UMS - we used it for the web interface I think.

I'm not sure which settings could help it work, no idea why it's not working with the profile I posted so I guess it will just be trial and error
radamo wrote:Thanks for jumping on this so quickly.
Thanks, hopefully we can get it working for transcoding soon and then release it
radamo

Post by radamo »

I am not a dev but would be glad to help. I have a bunch of DTS mkv movies which I created with either handbrake or MakeMKV. I am checking your notes on creating a custom render conf now and will see what I come up with.
sh4gz

Post by sh4gz »

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f9e26764cbd063ad7c58

that help in anyway. looks like DTS works with plex.
radamo

Post by radamo »

Still very picky on which files play or not.
creighton

Post by creighton »

SubJunk wrote:Cool, thanks. It looks very similar to the PS4 icon that is already in UMS - we used it for the web interface I think.
Ah whoops, didn't know there was already an icon built into UMS - sorry, I'm new :)
sh4gz wrote:https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f9e26764cbd063ad7c58
I gave Plex a shot yesterday but it still wouldn't play all files either (it did work a little better with transcoding than UMS currently does though). It's a little too bulky and full of features I would never use...so I instantly got rid of it after testing it out. The only real difference I see there is that it includes the "-x264opts cabac=1" option for the transcode target, which I believe is an FFmpeg setting that is probably already enabled by default.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

radamo wrote:I am not a dev but would be glad to help. I have a bunch of DTS mkv movies which I created with either handbrake or MakeMKV. I am checking your notes on creating a custom render conf now and will see what I come up with.
Thanks for the help :)
sh4gz wrote:https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f9e26764cbd063ad7c58

radamo wrote:Still very picky on which files play or not.
Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at the forums for Serviio and Plex to see how they're getting on with support, and yeah it seems the Plex support is incomplete but sometimes transcodes so we might learn from that.
creighton wrote:Ah whoops, didn't know there was already an icon built into UMS - sorry, I'm new :)
Love the enthusiasm and the icon was great :)
creighton wrote:I gave Plex a shot yesterday but it still wouldn't play all files either (it did work a little better with transcoding than UMS currently does though). It's a little too bulky and full of features I would never use...so I instantly got rid of it after testing it out. The only real difference I see there is that it includes the "-x264opts cabac=1" option for the transcode target, which I believe is an FFmpeg setting that is probably already enabled by default.
I checked and cabac=1 is being used by us too since it's a default option in x264. It could be useful to get Plex logs for a file that successfully transcodes so we can see which options are being used. They use a modified version of FFmpeg for transcoding. I would get the logs myself but I don't have a PS4. I think Plex stores logs in different places, basically the one we need is the one that passes the options to the transcoder like "-x264opts", etc.
mileleku

Post by mileleku »

Hey!
I've been using UMS since like forever with my PS3. I'd really like to help with PS4 support.

I'll be trying a bunch of stuff myself, but I'm not sure I'll get something to work with my limited knowledge. I have a bunch of free time right now, so if you (SubJunk) want me to try some specific stuff I'd be glad to help out.