PS4 now support DLNA!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Dement

PS4 now support DLNA!

Post by Dement »

Well Sony just released a, "Media Player" for PS4. It supports DLNA and UMS does get detected and shows my media but so far I haven't found a way to get the media to transcode over. Anyone have any luck?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: PS4 now support DLNA!

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Dement, we have made a PS4 profile to test, please let us know how it works for you: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Unive ... tion4.conf
Just put it in the renderers folder in your UMS installation
Fr3nZy

Post by Fr3nZy »

Streamed an MKV and a large 2.5gb MP4. Worked without a problem with and without the Sony-PlayStation4.conf. Even fast forwarding worked well.
UMS 5.1.3. Wired 1gb end to end.
miro1900

Post by miro1900 »

Hey guys,
I am trying to setup UMS for the PS4. I am new to this program. anyhow. I have the issue that .mkv files are running in general, just some of them are not working. those not working are quite big. one of them is 3,4 gb. could that be a reason that it is not working? smaller mkv files are working just fine. or could it be that i use wireless for streaming?
tried both ways, also with the Sony-PlayStation4.conf.
Boscan

Post by Boscan »

I tried using ums with the ps4. And it works well, but if I try to use a movie that has a srt file for subtitles, the ps4 says the media cannot be played.
I did not try the config. I'll try it shortly.

Edit: Nope. Doesn't work either way.
Dement

Post by Dement »

As Boscan said most of my archive in anime so they have SRT's.

I was able to play multiple formats without subs using the profile. I assume its an issue with Sony's player but I'm not really sure :/
peejamm

Post by peejamm »

I've had positive results with TV shows (admittedly, mainly in mp4 or AVI format) but none of my mkv movies are working and I just get "content not playable", or whatever it says, from the PS4...

I might be oversimplifying or completely missing the point but doesn't the media server transcode files to compatible formats on the fly for whichever renderer they're being played on? Just wondering if there's a setting or two I'm missing so as to make this work...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

PS4 doesn't support DTS in MKV files so maybe your movies are like that, so we are trying to transcode. We still don't know which type of transcoding the PS4 supports. There are lots of options available to try in DefaultRenderer.conf if anyone wants to try to find something that works
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Here's the latest version of our PS4 profile, please test it: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Unive ... tion4.conf
creighton

Post by creighton »

Just moved over from PS3 Media Server since that appears to be defunct and UMS is still getting the attention it deserves. I built a PS4 conf file for PS3MS that would stream compatible files, but transcoding didn't work at all even after trying out various settings. The conf files for UMS are naturally very similar, and mine didn't look much different from what's laid out here so far.
SubJunk wrote:Here's the latest version of our PS4 profile, please test it
Streaming works fine with that latest profile for files that the PS4 natively supports, but pretty much anything that needs transcoded still won't play...except a couple WEBM and FLV files I have that did play while being transcoded by MEncoder (the PS4 didn't have content length though, so fast forward/reverse was not functional). Even files that would normally stream fine would not play if I tried to transcode them (to burn in subtitles and/or change audio track).

Let me know if you need specific things tested, and I can carry them out without a problem. I'm basically working with a clean install of UMS so that may help. Thanks for your work thus far SubJunk!

Also, created an icon for the PS4 (attached) for once this gets up and running - just drop it into the renderers folder.
Attachments
ps4.png
ps4.png (21.33 KiB) Viewed 71210 times