Enabling Subtitles significantly slows down transcoding

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
samboi

Enabling Subtitles significantly slows down transcoding

Post by samboi »

Hi,

I am fairly new to this, although I did try using PMS/UMS 2 years ago (things were different then). Now, more than ever I feel the need to use this efficiently as my media server.

So, I am a big fan of 1080p movies, and many times I like to have my subtitles enabled. Until recently, I always used to think that it was a memory problem or bandwidth problem due to which my video would stutter on PS3. I figured it out while watching The Dark Knight Rises 1080p (12 GB), that if I have subtitles enabled and I jump forward or backward to a specific time, my video would start to stutter. Afterwards, even if I started playing from the beginning at that point, it would be of no use. I thought its due to less memory buffer available, but the buffer was hardly full (1 MB or less sometimes). Later on, turns out disabling subtitles made everything all smooth. Buffer would be 90% full, CPU would be running around 30-40% etc.

My question is, is there something wrong with enabling subtitles as it skyrockets my CPU usage to 99%? I am using a Dell Studio 1558 with i3 processor in it, and I do believe it should do the job. It clearly looks like that the mencoder is not able to transcode/mux with subtitles enabled at a fast enough rate? Or it requires much more CPU power than I currently have. Is there any alternative to this? Some sort of configuration? I have been reading a bit about AviSynth/K-Lite Code pack/ CoreAVC but I am really not able to wrap my head around it. Any help on how to handle this issue and continue to use my subtitles smoothly would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks. :)

Sam
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Enabling Subtitles significantly slows down transcoding

Post by SubJunk »

Hi samboi, it's normal for subtitles to use more CPU, they require extra processing. You can pause the video and wait for the buffer to fill before playing again