MKVs on PS4 - There is no playable media

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ryanm1701

MKVs on PS4 - There is no playable media

Post by ryanm1701 »

Hi All,

Looking for some help with this one. UMS was working perfectly fine today when on my PS4 media server and I got the Windows 10 upgrade notification on my pc. After the upgrade, it was still working fine, until Windows disabled my network card for some reason. Since then, I have been getting There is no playable media when viewing a folder with MKVs in it that working and were seen ok before.

I have since reverted back to Windows 7, but have the same issue. I have re-setup my Homegroup and shared all the folders. I have clean installed UMS and reinstalled Java but get the same issue. I have forwarded the ports for my PS4 on my router and even setup the DMZ, but still no joy

I am currently doing a backup to to a fresh install of windows 7 and wipe my pc, but before I do that, does anyone have any advice on this strange issue.

PS - I have also reinstalled Media server on my PS4, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card on my pc
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
ryanm1701

Re: MKVs on PS4 - There is no playable media

Post by ryanm1701 »

Update on this. I converted the mkv file to mpg using mkv2vob. the converted file would not show on the ps4 under UMS, but did show and play ok using normal windows media sharing.
ryanm1701

Post by ryanm1701 »

Got it sorted. The reinstall of Windows resolved it
AuthenticM

Post by AuthenticM »

Isn't the PS4 supposed to read MKVs natively? It was listed in the article announcing the app, here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/ ... ng-to-ps4/
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Yes, PS4 supports MKV but without internal or external subs so UMS have to transcode for SUBs support.