Can't disable subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sup191

Can't disable subtitles

Post by sup191 »

I just cleanly installed UMS 2.1.2 on my Windows 7 machine. (deleted the old version and the programdata directory)

I'm streaming a .mkv file to my PS3, and when I have "definitely disable subtitles" checked, I still get a semi-large white font displaying subtitles. If I uncheck the option, I get the subtitles from the settings in the mencoder screen. (font, color, etc...) I don't remember having this issue before, only when upgrading from 2.0.0 to 2.1.2. I have deleted the old .conf files and installed fresh. I'm attaching the debug logs. Hopefully somebody can point me to what is causing the subtitles to always be displayed.

Thanks.
ums_dbg.zip
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
pdl2mtl90

Re: Can't disable subtitles

Post by pdl2mtl90 »

I am having the same problem.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

That's weird. It works for me. I can disable external subtitles, both .ass and .srt, in both .mp4 and .mkv files, and UMS will go from transcoding to streaming for the .mp4s. I can also disable internal .mkv subtitles, and I don't see any ghost font like you guys are describing.
leroy

Post by leroy »

I noticed the same issue where with "definitely disable subtitles" checked, embedded subtitles with mkv files, still be used with MEncoder.

It seems that the "Audio/subtitles language priority" settings are still be used.
Only by removing the default given values "*,*" no subtitles are shown with "definitely disable subtitles" checked.

Note: This can only be done if you temporarily unchecked (not checked) "definitely disable subtitles" or else this settings are greyed out.

However this is a bug that hopefully gets solved.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Hmm, for me the deafult is blank, but when I put *,* into the field, I get the big subtitles too. Those are the ones we used to get when the first workaround for the .mp4 fast forward subtitle bug was released, before it was changed to use the Plaintext subtitle settings.

It seems that the * wildcard in the second position causes problems. If I check "disable subtitles" with eng,off; jpn,jpn; the subtitles stay off. If I use jpn,* I get the big white subtitles back; I'll also get them with jpn,eng as they are english subs. This is with an anime.

Edit: Thanks, ExSport!
Last edited by Madoka on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Jpn,on; jpn,* --> all of them are invalid.
Logically what does it mean?
Jpn,on --> when audio is JPN,enable subtitles? Which ones? You can't use it this way!
Jpn,* --> when JPN audio is present, play any subs? Same as above, invalid settings!
You can use *,JPN which means - whatever audio will be played, use JPN subs.
Or you can also use JPN,off or *,off which means for JPN or any other audio disable subtitles.
Many times I described correct usage so please search for it;-)
sup191

Post by sup191 »

Using *,off is working for me now. At least I feel better knowing that this is a bug and not something I was doing wrong! :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I very rarely need subtitles except for rare occasions when I'm watching a foreign film.