Welcome UMS!

For help and support with Universal Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Post Reply
User avatar
squadjot
Moderator
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 am

Welcome UMS!

Post by squadjot » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Subjunk

I'm a big fan of your work, and i will for sure be using and testing UMS.

I, along with many others, have questions to what, how, why? =)
I thought i'd use your spanking new forum to ask you the obvious ones;

1. Will UMS be developed as open source?
2. Are you a team of developers (anyone we know?), or are you working on this alone?
3. Is keeping compabilty between PMS and UMS a goal? ( from a Dev. POV)
4. Will you still be contributing to the PMS project?
5. Will UMS remain free of charge?
6. What is the main reasons for developing UMS instead of PMS?

I general, i'm curious how people are responding.. lol..this is like kinda big for our little community (i'm a mere spectator tho)..
I'm also curious to hear what other devs think about this.

Personally, i like the name and logo, and i like the fact that theres a "head of development", that's best for any project, and you sure seem capable :) s thats all reassuring.
On the flipside, i'm anxious to see how the established community reacts.. not so much the users, more the plugin/developers.. cause they are really the ones polishing off the needs we might have..
But i cannot see how it's going to be both...as a developer i would probably choose..and that would leave PMS dead..and somehow i think that would be..undeserved..and a bit sad.

That was my question and thoughts, c'mon people let me hear yours =)

Gareee
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by Gareee » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 am

Congrats on the launch!

I'm also curious about the prelaunch mentioned automatic "true motion" feature. What is it, and how do we benefit from it?

counsil
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by counsil » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I have the same questions/concerns as squadjot. You have been a great contributor to PMS. I will probably switch over to UMS because I like your work (and ambition). I just hope that you continue to work closely with the PMS team because I think there has been a lot of synergy here lately. I don't want that synergy to be lost. :(

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by SubJunk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 pm

squadjot wrote:I'm a big fan of your work, and i will for sure be using and testing UMS.
Hi squadjot, thanks a lot! :)
squadjot wrote:1. Will UMS be developed as open source?
Yes
squadjot wrote:2. Are you a team of developers (anyone we know?), or are you working on this alone?
I started it alone but already SharkHunter has expressed interest in joining, you probably know of him but for those who don't know he has been a community developer for PMS for a long time :)
squadjot wrote:3. Is keeping compabilty between PMS and UMS a goal? ( from a Dev. POV)
I will be keeping tabs on PMS development and merging their code with ours when it looks good and when I think it will benefit UMS. On the flipside of it, if there's a commit that looks like it will introduce bugs or not benefit the project it probably won't be added here.
squadjot wrote:4. Will you still be contributing to the PMS project?
I don't think so.
squadjot wrote:5. Will UMS remain free of charge?
Yes, it will always be 100% free :)
squadjot wrote:6. What is the main reasons for developing UMS instead of PMS?
It's a good question. I have a lot of reasons.
The main one is that I like the idea of having control over the direction of the program. Like you say below, having an active "head of development" can be a good thing and hopefully it will be in this case too :)
Another reason is that the name PMS seems outdated since the program supports so many devices and more are added all the time, so "Universal" seems better. It lends itself to a cool logo that I'm happy with, whereas "PS3" made it hard to have an appropriate logo. Here we get an atom-like logo representing the Universe with the 3 circles, one for each operating system/release. So I like the branding of this better.
squadjot wrote:Personally, i like the name and logo, and i like the fact that theres a "head of development", that's best for any project, and you sure seem capable :) s thats all reassuring.
Thanks :)
squadjot wrote:On the flipside, i'm anxious to see how the established community reacts.. not so much the users, more the plugin/developers.. cause they are really the ones polishing off the needs we might have..
We've discussed it in our private forum and it seems OK. It's my intention to leave on good terms with the other developers and I wish them the best.
squadjot wrote:But i cannot see how it's going to be both...as a developer i would probably choose..and that would leave PMS dead..and somehow i think that would be..undeserved..and a bit sad.
I don't think any of the official developers of PMS will follow me to UMS, so in terms of development both projects will probably continue for the foreseeable future.
It would make me very happy if UMS can even achieve 1/4 the popularity of PMS :)
Gareee wrote:Congrats on the launch!
Thanks! :D
Gareee wrote:I'm also curious about the prelaunch mentioned automatic "true motion" feature. What is it, and how do we benefit from it?
It uses another project I develop called InterFrame which basically adds fake frames in-between real video frames to make it have a higher framerate.
Newer movies (Avatar 2, The Hobbit, etc.) are being filmed at higher framerates now, but most movies from the past use 24FPS. So this basically makes good guesses about what those extra frames might have been had they been filmed.
It's a feature that has been released with most modern TVs for a few years and this is a way to use it even on old TVs.
You can enable it by going into the Transcoding Settings tab, selecting Avisynth/MEncoder on the left and enabling the appropriate settings.
counsil wrote:I have the same questions/concerns as squadjot. You have been a great contributor to PMS. I will probably switch over to UMS because I like your work (and ambition).
Thanks a lot!
counsil wrote:I just hope that you continue to work closely with the PMS team because I think there has been a lot of synergy here lately. I don't want that synergy to be lost. :(
Hopefully I addressed your concerns above :)

User avatar
SharkHunter
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by SharkHunter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:09 am

Hi all,

Yes I'll follow SubJunk to this new part of cyberspace. I'll help out with whatever I can, but I assume that I'll continue doing the Channels plugin and focusing on the stuff I made in SHB. But I haven't talked with SubJunk yet so we'll see what will come out of it.

I'm excited to help out and improve the "PMS" to make it better, and this might be fresh start since I think (and you've probably seen the decline in the SHB and SB releases) PMS has lost momentum.

/SharkHunter
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.

Madoka
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by Madoka » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:59 am

Congrats on the new project!

While it's only been a day, I'm loving the new program. Much faster and more responsive all around.

As SH said, PMS seems to have lost momentum, and you and SH were the only ones releaseing new builds, for those of us idiots who don't build our own. :D

I look forward to new delevopements here and at PMS.

Because of P/UMS, I use my PS3 fro streaming much more then I do playing games....

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by SubJunk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:30 am

sharkhunter wrote:Hi all
Welcome! :)
Madoka wrote:Congrats on the new project!
Thanks a lot :)
Madoka wrote:I look forward to new delevopements here and at PMS.

Because of P/UMS, I use my PS3 fro streaming much more then I do playing games....
Hehe same here :)

Triplefun
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by Triplefun » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Welcome and really great news you are taking PMS to a new level.
I have been using your PMS version for sometime now (PS3 output) and always look forward to the next release - there is always an improvement.

I make extensive use of LAV filters (Shark007 codecs) using FFMpeg on WHS v1 (Q9550) and pleased to see UMS handing my .m2ts files (generated using tsMuxer GUI) with minimal stuttering. I've set the bandwidth to '0' (i have a gbit network) but still get some stuttering when video streams exceed 100Mbs. I still have to use FDDShow for audio.

I'm still trying to work out how to use CUDA processing on a headless server.

I would like a Paypal donation in appreciation of your efforts but can't find a link.

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Welcome UMS!

Post by SubJunk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Triplefun wrote:Welcome and really great news you are taking PMS to a new level.
I have been using your PMS version for sometime now (PS3 output) and always look forward to the next release - there is always an improvement.
Thanks a lot! :)
Triplefun wrote:I make extensive use of LAV filters (Shark007 codecs) using FFMpeg on WHS v1 (Q9550) and pleased to see UMS handing my .m2ts files (generated using tsMuxer GUI) with minimal stuttering. I've set the bandwidth to '0' (i have a gbit network) but still get some stuttering when video streams exceed 100Mbs. I still have to use FDDShow for audio.
If you create an issue on our issue tracker I'll get some more details from you and look into it.
Triplefun wrote:I would like a Paypal donation in appreciation of your efforts but can't find a link.
Thanks for reminding me I need to update the donate button. There's one that hopefully works on the upper-right of my blog.

Post Reply