Anyone have VLC for iOS working?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sumguy

Anyone have VLC for iOS working?

Post by sumguy »

I've been trying to use UMS with VLC for iOS, with no luck. I'm hoping someone else has done this, who can show me the way...

I can select UMS in the UPnP section of VLC for iOS, and I can see my iPhone in the UMS status tab. But the file listing in VLC is blank. Except for ONE time it showed up, but I have no idea what I did differently, and have never been able to do it again! I also tried Serviio, and there's no problem getting the directory listings with that, so I know at least that VLC for iOS is not completely broken. Unfortunately there are other problems with Serviio that I haven't been able to solve yet.

That one time I got the file listing, I was able to try playing a standard-definition .avi file, but all I saw was a single still frame from the video, it wouldn't play at all - even though the status tab in UMS seemed to indicate it was playing.

I have UMS running on my Mac. When I connect with VLC for Mac, everything works fine. I guess that points to there being a problem with the VLC iOS port, but I just wanted to ask here if anyone had figured out how to make it work.

I suppose I'll end up buying Air Video HD from the App Store, or maybe I'll get Serviio working with VLC for iOS somehow, but I'd prefer an open-source solution if possible...

Thanks!
chrisl

Re: Anyone have VLC for iOS working?

Post by chrisl »

No, VLC for IOS does not work for me either.
Same blank file listing screen.

For real time streaming, I am using VLC streamer, which works very good over wifi nerwork.
One issue is that sound quality is awful, especially noticeable on music.You have to install "VLC streamer helper" on the Mac, which is the server app, and VLC streamer app on the iphone ...
sumguy

Post by sumguy »

I've heard Air Video HD works better than VLC Streamer. I don't much like either of those though, because they're so heavily based on free software, but none of the money they get from App Store sales or ads goes back to the people who wrote it. At first I thought VLC Streamer was put out by the VLC people, beause of the name and the logo. But it isn't, it's just some guy somewhere. Anyway, I prefer to use the real VLC for iOS app.

In the meantime, I've had some success with Serviio. It's not open source, but at least it's free to use. I had to mess around with the config files a bit to get real-time transcoding working, but now it's going quite well. Sound quality seems good to me. I'd still rather use UMS, but at this point it doesn't look very encouraging.
mindsnare

Post by mindsnare »

No, never worked for me. VLC for iOS finds the UPnP server but there are no files.

In this matter UMS 5.4.0 is no different than any other prior versions.
angrykrabba

Post by angrykrabba »

Same problem with VLC. I'm looking for a program that can stream videos to my Ipad with the frame interpolation feature. Been looking everywhere for It.
mindsnare

Post by mindsnare »

v6.0.0 still no go
chalkster

Post by chalkster »

Yep UMS is now 6.5.0 and still no fix for this most fundamental issue .. Ive been faithful for a long time now but serviio is getting v attractive - it just works with VLC for IOS - fully , completely , no ifs, no buts , out of the box ..
Ive been unable to get VLC for IOS to work with UMS except for brief unexplained sporadic periods (maybe 1 in 50). It just will not propagate video content.
Release notes keep telling me its fixed and theres better support for VLC, but im failing to see any evidence .
Is there anyone out there who can give me a formulaic method for success . Ive stripped it all back as far as I can , but no bananas. BTW VLC full windows client 2.2 works fine in Win10 picking up UPNP folders and content .
TIA.
yours in frustration,
chalkster
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We are looking into this bug. It's difficult since it seems VLC is expecting us to use a different method than we use for our other renderers.
I've noticed that for me it usually works if I start UMS after VLC, if you want a workaround until this is fixed.
chalkster

Post by chalkster »

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.
Edit: Nup.. still zero folders or content appearing .. I'll await the fix .. 8player sees the content fine - must be a nuance of VLC for IOS
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hey guys, just letting you know we are still working on this and hope to have a fix soon