Xbox 360 MKV A/V desync

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Mortis

Xbox 360 MKV A/V desync

Post by Mortis »

Spent several hours tonight trying to get MKV files to have synced audio on both PS3 Media Server and later UMS when I discovered it. Same results on both, no dice.

Rough specs:
3.4ghz, 4 processors, 4g ram, win7 64, wired connection

Basically with Mencoder the audio is running slightly slower than the video. Subtitles work as well as selecting audio channel. I have tried various checkboxes in Mencoder such as the A/V alternate method, disabling remux everywhere I can, etc.

First uninstalled all codecs and reinstalled Haali, CoreAVC, and FFDshow from individual installers. Same result.
Tried some of the matroska codec-specific parameters I found dealing with -nosync and the 23.597 FPS correction or whatever. Did not fix anything. Uninstalled all those codecs and reinstalled newest CCCP since at this point I had broken PC playback through screwing around, still same result.
Installed AVIsynth, when using AVIsynth/Mencoder as primary encoder the video runs much slower than the audio (opposite of previous problem).

At this point I tried Serviio, which out of the box synced perfectly but does not support subtitles or multiple audio streams so it's not an acceptable solution.

For what it's worth, forums seem to indicate I should be seeing Haali/FFDshow etc in my system tray when I am streaming through PMS/UMS, but I never do.

Let me know if I can provide any more information.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Xbox 360 MKV A/V desync

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Mortis, welcome to the forums! :)
Can you give me a name or link of one of the problematic files?
Mortis

Post by Mortis »

Thanks for the quick reply SubJunk. I feel like a bit of a toolbox now, it hadn't even occurred to me it might be the file. I just got done checking all the MKVs I currently have on my server and indeed the only one that noticeably desyncs early on is the one I was using for testing.
Here's a link to the offender: http://www.bakabt.com/149995-kuro-no-sh ... 4-acx.html
Within 30 seconds it becomes apparent it's desyncing and gradually getting worse.

I had assumed it was all MKVs because my roommate also installed PMS today and was getting really bad desync on all his MKVs as well, but they were large blu-ray rips. Is it possible his PC just wasn't up to it? It's quite a bit older than mine, I think an early dual core.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Mortis wrote:Thanks for the quick reply SubJunk. I feel like a bit of a toolbox now, it hadn't even occurred to me it might be the file. I just got done checking all the MKVs I currently have on my server and indeed the only one that noticeably desyncs early on is the one I was using for testing.
Here's a link to the offender: http://www.bakabt.com/149995-kuro-no-sh ... 4-acx.html
Within 30 seconds it becomes apparent it's desyncing and gradually getting worse.
I'm glad it's just that one, it's a relief :) Downloading it now for testing, I'll reply when I've looked at it :)
Mortis wrote:I had assumed it was all MKVs because my roommate also installed PMS today and was getting really bad desync on all his MKVs as well, but they were large blu-ray rips. Is it possible his PC just wasn't up to it? It's quite a bit older than mine, I think an early dual core.
Usually if the hardware is too slow it would cause stuttering instead of desync. Sync that goes in and out usually means the network is too slow, while consistent desync usually means a strange file (rare codecs and/or codec settings)
Were they rips he had made himself, or also downloaded? If I get a name/link to one I can look at that too :)
Mortis

Post by Mortis »

The file on the other PC that was wildly desynced was "Grosso guaio a Chinatown - Big Trouble in Little China [BDRip-1080p-MultiLang-MultiSub-Chapters][RiP By MaX].mkv," I'm not sure where he got it or why he got that version. I did watch a full MKV film this morning with no issues, though. Thanks for all your work on this software.