DTS-HD PassThrough - LPCM Conversion etc?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
FoxFox

DTS-HD PassThrough - LPCM Conversion etc?

Post by FoxFox »

Hi

I have a slim PS3 that ive been using UMS on without flaw, earlier today I picked up a new Pioneer receiver so I could attempt to get true lossless audio from MKVs with DTSHD-MA 5.1 tracks. Now ive tried keeping the DTS encapsulated as a fake lpcm 2.0 channel but that only gets at the DTS core (1.5 mbps streaming constant, the same profile as DTS core) and not the full HD stream. I also have tried disabling that and instead using convert to LPCM, and I do get a constant 4.6 mbps which is what it should be.. HOWEVER, is Meencoder just converting the core track to LPCM or is it REALLY transmitting an uncompressed stream. I have no proper metering equipment to get a spectral graph of the actual output so Im asking a dev here who truely knows.
Obviously im not passing through the audio when it converts to a real LPCM track (and not the dummy 2.0 for dts passthrough) but is the encoder able to access the full lossless track and not the core?
Ive looked all over for an answer to it and theres nothing definitive. If this doesnt work I'll trash my PS3 and get a proper dedicated media server with passthrough but id much rather keep my current setup and not throw any more money at this :P
ExSport

Re: DTS-HD PassThrough - LPCM Conversion etc?

Post by ExSport »

You can achieve DTS 5.1(core) output only. Limitation is decoder of MEncoder which can decodes core DTS only. So encoding to LPCM doesn't help.
But TRUE-HD should be decoded up to 7.1 channels as I read somewhere on net in MEncoder forum.