Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

Post by SubJunk »

Ah I see, yeah it's because it's sending the raw file to your TV. It's something we need to fix in the code. In the meantime it should work to edit your file "SamsungAllShare.conf" and remove "mkv," from the "StreamExtensions" line, line 48.
gedman

Post by gedman »

OK i'll try it later on ....

why there is an exception on mkv's ?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

gedman wrote:OK i'll try it later on ....

Why there is an exception on mkv's ?
Edit: I'd see it as a temporary fix.

The problem is that your renderer can stream the format.. and then UMS prioritizes streaming over transcoding/w subtitles no matter what. (which is wrong)
Atleast thats' my understanding of the problem.

Edit: i guess MP4 can be a problem aswell?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Any extension defined in "StreamExtensions=" forces direct streaming what means sending video file as is, ignoring anything else.
So yes, if mp4 is defined here, it will do the same.
That external subs are streamed together with video file as a separate stream, this is due to this line in config:

Code: Select all

SubtitleHttpHeader=CaptionInfo.sec
This line says that Renderer directly supports separate subtitles sent via network tagged as "CaptionInfo.sec".
I don't have this renderer so can't test but creator of this renderer conf said it works for him (maybe with some special fw, who knows).
Any other renderer can support subs same way (with different header) so if someone know it, they can configure it as needed.
If they don't want to send subs separately, this line should be commented.
@Valib spotted that also his Panasonic TV supports external subs so maybe if he will be successful with capturing network traffic what exactly is sent by his ASUS, then maybe it will work also with other similar renderers.
More discussion here:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... c8b6741013
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Yes, I've seen my Brothers samsung stream a video and send external subs with it, it works..WHEN it works =)

Anyways.. it should not be necesary to remove streamable formats (right now it is)..
UMS should still be able to stream those formats that have no subtitles. For an example i have alot of sports shows, often lot of detail and fast chaging scenes.. i NEED to stream that to be able to watch it. Infact, until recently all this worked as suppoed, this is bug that was introduced somewhere around 2.2.0.

People like ExSport thinks this is exactly as it should be, ..if you are also in the need of subtitles, please state your opinion, and help convince desicion makers around here, that there is infact other people than english speaking people..AND even poeple who speaks english, but WANT subtitles of different reasons.

Not trying to be more dramatic than i already am.. but serioulsy.. to me and my family UMS is pretty useless without subtitles
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

I only said that the behavior I described is here from beginning and is logical so we should not take it as bug. You can't say that LINUX has a bug that it doesn't support NTFS. No it is not bug but can be added as a feature.
If it is a bug, then we need debug.log from working and non-working version so we can compare it and exactly will imagine what exactly you mean with bug.
I only said that when StreamExtensions= is defined, UMS will force this extension to be streamed as is, without touch what means no subs, no overscan compensation etc. It is logical behavior and it is not bug 8-)
You have to read "StreamExtensions=" as an exclude, it is something what internally say to ignore subs so it can't be taken as a bug.
There are many ways how to fix it. Change this behavior or better, change renderer.conf files to be MediaInfo=true.
In past all configs were MediaInfo=false which had no "high-level logic" so support was defined via streamed/transcoded extensions. In AVI extension there you can find h264 codec, Divx/XviD, anything.
Some of them renderer can support but not others. Because of that definition via extensions is not good way so Shagrath implemented MediaInfo=true logic.
This is much smarter and in this config transcode/stream extensions part should be ignored totally (it is not true right now) and everything should be defined via "Supported=" lines only.
Right now I am not sure if it works 100% in all cases but with this config UMS should be able to recognize supported codecs/containers and make decision if transcoding/remuxing is needed and if subs are present and should be played (depends on audio/subs priority), UMS should transcode also supported file to make subs available.
For now streaming external subs were not ever fully implemented (it was added by one user as a test for ALLSHARE renderer), so here I understand, there is a space to make it better :mrgreen:
Btw. English is not my mother tongue so yes, I am using subs too. Because of that I implemented "forced subs", because my parents use it all the time. But stop, "forced subs" doesn't mean your external subs will be forced. It means subs for non-native language parts (like in Avatar, Startrek's Klingons language, Latin, Chineese in english movies, etc.) will be played anyway. So also in case you will set to play eng audio without subs and forced subs are found, UMS will load them because they are needed. 8-)
So I don't think everything is exactly as it should be but that your described problem is normal in your case, with your config etc...
There is no solution (right now) to force subs also in case your file has an extension defined in "streamextensions=" (your case).
But in some near future, when UMS will stream external subs directly to any supported renderer or mux them to compatible stream or transcode it if no other option will left, then it will do exactly what you need.
But it will not be now...now when there are lot of changes due to implementing FFMPEG subtitle support and other changes.
Trust me, if I will know how to stream subs directly to my Panasonic TV, I will start digging in code again how to make subs streamable or muxed only to container and fail back to transcoding if no other option left.
I opened new topic to make it available: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=792
Only my two cents :twisted:
gedman

Post by gedman »

After i changed the SamsungAllShare.conf i can play a few MKV's (no all of them, in a few cases it's loading for a while and the goes back to the menu) with subtitles but i can't fast forward anymore.
Please help .... don't know what to do.

There is the new log file.

I noticed this line "Buffer read ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException error:"
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(27.05 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ExSport wrote:But in some near future, when UMS will stream external subs directly to any supported renderer or mux them to compatible stream or transcode it if no other option will left, then it will do exactly what you need.
Thanks, sounds great =)
Madoka

Re: Missing subtitles in 6.1.0

Post by Madoka »

Not to raise a dead thread, but my issue falls in line with what has been discussed here in the past.

I am currently using 6.1.0 with default settings in the subtitle priorities section. I also have load external subs and force external subs checked.

If I have several files with an English tx3g subtitle track AND an external English subtitle track, UMS will still play the internal subtitle track preferentially. I can override this by removing the *,eng from the audio/subtitle preferences line. I had thought that the force external subs should override this, but perhaps I'm wrong.