Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ExSport

Re: Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

Post by ExSport »

And the needed debug.log? 8-)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ok it's, here =)

Edit: with: mencoder_sublangs = eng,fre,jpn,ger,und
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Never tested m4v file but the naming seems to be correct:

Code: Select all

Detected encoding for M:\Media\Video\A-Z\T\Ted [2012] [7,4] [DK Subs]\Ted [2012].eng.srt is WINDOWS-1252.
Weird that subs are not loaded.
Please post also ums.conf file and debug.log in TRACE mode (change line <root level="DEBUG"> to <root level="TRACE"> in logback.xml file and restart UMS)
Thx
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ok
Attachments
ums_dbg_03.zip
debug files
(16.08 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Did you changed "logback.xml" file? It seems the depth of the debug.log file is same. If yes, change it to "ALL". In log I can't find subtitle load logic so it seems xml file wasn't changed.
# Audio language priority
# -----------------------
# GUI Option: Audio language priority (string)
# Determine the string of audio language and subtitle language pairs
# ordered by priority for MEncoder to try to match. Audio language and
# subtitle language should be comma separated as a pair; individual pairs
# should be semicolon separated. "*" can be used to match any language.
# Subtitle language can be defined as "off" (e.g. "jpn,off;*,*").
# XXX Can be empty, which overrides the default value.
# Default: *,*.
# mencoder_audiosublangs =
In GUI this part represents "Audio/Subtitle language priority".
I neved had it empty so maybe problem is that this "*.*" default settings will override your pure subtitle preference.
Please try to change it to

eng,eng;en,en;*,off
This will try to load eng subs when eng audio is played. For any other audio subs are disabled. This example is only for testing-to find root cause of your problem. Because of that in example are both 2-char and 3-char language code specification if one of them will fail (I am using 2char format only and it works for me without problems)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Cheers!

I edited the wrong part in logback.xml , sorry.. anyways - breakthrough!

Defining "Audio/Subtitle language priority" as you suggested fixed the issue and the file plays with subtitles. the log is from that is ums_dbg_05.zip

The log before i changed it, where it did not work is: ums_dbg_04.zip

Other info:
1. In 2.2.4 i definitely don't see the "00:00:00.00" - thingy anymore .. (Even if mencoder tries to use the tx3g):
2. I'm having trouble uploading/attaching files to my post when using IE(9)
Attachments
ums_dbg_05.zip
File plays with subtitle
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
ums_dbg_04.zip
Subtitle does not play
(35.09 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Hi. Thanks for testing. Will check the LOGs later but you found a bug! 8-)
When "Audio/Subtitle language priority" is not specified, default *.* is used so "Subtitles language priority" settings is ignored/overridden.
Second problem should be some last changes (tryouts of fixing "Definitely disable subs") in subtitle code [MencoderVideo.java] that it was reorganized so external subs are not preferred anymore and embedded has a preference? Only thoughts, never tested how it behave in new versions... 8-)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I met anohter movie that didnt play after the intial "fix"
It ended up working by having

Subtitles LAnguage priority

eng,fre,jpn,ger,und,*
and Audio/Subtitles language priority

eng,eng;en,en;*
Don't know if that makes sense..

Anyways, as user with basic needs, i'd assume the default settings of UMS would have it working somewhat like this:

1. If there's a SRT file with the same name of the file, thats the subtitle the file with be played.
2. If there's embedded subtitles, but a SRT is present. The SRT gets used.

I think this is how most users with basic need for subtitles want's to have it (correct me if im wrong).
And, in fact, this is how i experienced PMS/UMS so far.. only lately it´a bit messy.
I dont' even know what "forced language" or "forced tags" is supposed to do, and i really not even want to know, cause i'm pretty sure i dont' need it =P
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Both priorities are wrong. * means nothing in subtitle preference.
For audio/subtitle priorities * alone means nothing.
"eng,fre,jpn,ger,und,*" means if any audio is played eng subs are loaded if exists. If not fre are loaded. If not present then jpn subs are loaded. If missing, ger subs are loaded and if none of them are present, UMS tries to load undefined subs. What I remember * is not allowed here.
"eng,eng;en,en;*" means eng subs are loaded for eng audio. * is ignored because it is not combination for audio/sub alternative ;)
To understand the logic (lang tag, und, off or * is allowed only):
UMS supports 3lang and also 2lang tag so it is enough to define only one, like 2chars in my example:

cs,off;sk,off;en,cs;en,sk;und,off;*,cs;*,sk;en,en;*,en;*,de;*,off
It means if CS audio is played, subs are disabled. If SK audio is played, subs are disabled. If EN audio, CS subs are loaded. If EN audio is played and CS subs are not found, UMS will try to load SK subs.
If none of them are present for EN audio, EN subs are played. For any other audio, load EN subs. When EN subs are not present, for any other audio try to load DE subs. And at last for any other audio disable subs.
The logic order is from left so subs are disabled only when audio is UND or audio is anything but CS,SK,EN,DE subs are missing. Hope you understand it now ;)
About your questions:
1. If there's a SRT file with the same name of the file, thats the subtitle the file with be played. - When subs will have same name, UMS will detect them as UND. It is not logical to load it automatically because you can have MKV file with more audio languages, one native and one original (english, japan, etc.). In this case you don't want to load subs for your native language ;)
2. If there's embedded subtitles, but a SRT is present. The SRT gets used. - It was true, maybe it is still true, not sure with latest versions. But you need make an attention on language tags and your preference settings.
And about FORCED things. It is most impressive part ;) There are lot of movies with forced subs. Forced subs means e.g. audio is is in your native language but for klingon, foreign parts you need subs.
So forced subs are played also in case you will play your native audio language but you are wathing some musical movie or Avatar etc. where people are singing or speaking in unknown language or there some captions in picture.
Forced tags are tags how UMS will recognize these types of subs.
E.g. when movie has name "Avatar.2021.DTS.mkv", subs should be named like "Avatar.2021.DTS.cs-forced.srt". This naming will tag subs as forced and in czech language.
Forced subs can be only one preferred language code and forced tag can have more tags divided by ",", e.g. "forced,singing,documentary".
Very very useful thing ;)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Both priorities are wrong.
But it sure made it work ^^

Don't get me wrong.. you should definately be able to adjust all those things..
But again.. i always just had: movie.avi + movie.srt

In short, this is how UMS always worked for me.. and this is the way i think it should work. ( not "THE" way.. but this simple setup, for noobs like me.. MUST work)