[Resolved] Icon/text on device

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
rjwiii

[Resolved] Icon/text on device

Post by rjwiii »

Hello.

First, UMS rocks!

I want to change the icon/text that appears on the device. I have a Samsung TV and I have UMS installed on 2 computers: 1 Mac, 1 Linux box. When I press the source button on the TV, both appear with the same icon & text. Any way to change that?

Thanks.

rjwiii
squadjot

Re: Icon/text on device

Post by squadjot »

I actaully havent tried it with UMS, but it could be done with PMS, i think it's still possible.

WinRar can edit jar files, so thats what i used.
(Before you can do anything, you need to make sure that UMS is closed down completely. If not, you can not edit the necesary files)

1. Open UMS.jar with WinRar.
2. Locate the PMS.xml file inside the jar file: resources\PMS.xml
3. Drag PMS.xml file to the desktop and open it with notepad.
4. To change the name of the server; edit the line <friendlyName>Universal Media Server</friendlyName>.
5. Save and close the file and drag it back onto WinRar, back to the \resources folder, overwriting the old PMS.xml file.

Further down in the XML file you can see that the icon is also defined here.
Easiest is to simply overwrite the png inside UMS.jar, located in the folder resources\images\icon-256.png

Good luck! =)
Last edited by squadjot on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
rjwiii

Post by rjwiii »

squadjot,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I will copy the UMS.jar file over to my M$ box and edit it there.

Are you one of the developers? If so, it might be a good idea to make thiese configurable items in future releases?

Just a thought ...

rjwiii
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

rjwiii wrote:squadjot,
it might be a good idea to make thiese configurable items in future releases?
nope i'm not a UMS developer, but yeah i agree, would be handy to have this integrated part of UMS.
Nuno

Post by Nuno »

I have a problem that is probably related to this discussion.

On my TV (Samsung UE40EH5300) the icon displayed by UMS seems to be a default icon (with a question mark on it). Also, UMS shows up as "Network" and not "Allshare" (Samsung's DLNA "flavour").
I found this interesting because I also own a router with the "Tomato" firmware running miniDLNA. This one is correctly identified by the TV: it shows the "Allshare" type and the custom miniDLNA Tux icon.

Does anyone know of a way to modify this? (Or is this some sort of UMS or TV bug?)

I managed to change the "Universal Media Server" name to something else following this thread's info, but not the icon nor the connection type.

Thanks!
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I guess that's something that could be fixed with UMS. You can report this as a minor bug =)

Edit: So not something you can do much about yourself, Unless it's a matter of wrong path (somehow), and IF it's possible to add a "absolute" path to the jar file.. like "c:\myicon.png" , i don't know..
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

To distinguish between more UMS running in paralel you can simply edit UMS.conf and set the Profile name by adding a line

Code: Select all

name = whatever you want
The profile name is displayed in the renderer in square brackets after the software name e.g. Universal Media Server [myprofile]
Nuno

Post by Nuno »

Thanks for your replies (both of them)!
Everything works just fine and this last tip will probably be very useful (although now I do not have the need for more than one UMS server running).
I was only puzzled by the strange (default?) icon and label the TV shows, because I noticed that the same TV shows this info "correctly" for my other miniDLNA server.
pen

Post by pen »

Hi

I would like to rise this issue a bit since I think it's sort of embarrassing that my second choice media server (Serviio) shows up with a nice icon on the Samsung TV but my first choice media server (UMS) just shows up with a question mark. In fact my family disregards it as a choice in the menu. This is really a branding issue, since the logo is the first thing you are presented with.

I have done some network traces and found some possible causes of the problem. Attached are traces for the "description" request and response for UMS and Serviio. Following this response the TV does not even try to fetch the icon in the UMS case but immediately fetches the icon in the Serviio case. So these are the possible causes:

1. In UMS, the <URLBase> item value ends with a "/" character and the relative path for the icon starts with a "/" character. Surfing around I have seen several examples with and without the ending "/" but the relative path is always consistent with the choice. That is the "/" is either in the <URLBase> or in the relative path but not in both. So, I think this is a bug in UMS that most renderers forgive but maybe not Samsung. Notably, Serviio skips to provide the <URLBase> entirely.

2. In UMS, the <mimetype> item value is "image/jpeg" whereas the path name extension suggests it's a png. Serviio has <mimetype> "image/png" and this is one in the list that is fetched afterwards. Since the TV doesn't even fetch the icon in the UMS case, it might not accept jpeg as a format (and it doesn't consider the extension being png).

3. The size of the icon is 120*120 in the UMS case. Serviio delivers several icon options where the chosen one is 48*48.

It's difficult to know which one of those that is the actual cause of the problem, but I think nr 1 is a bug in UMS and nr 2 indicates an inconsistency in UMS. Providing a small icon option for 3 would at least not harm.

Edit: Added this information also to existing ticket #40.

Pen
Attachments
ws_serviio_icon.txt
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
ws_ums_icon.txt
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Server Ubuntu 12.04, Renderer Samsung 46D6300
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Community,

In the latest build the way to see the icon on the TV (currently) is to disable HTTP v2. @Subjunk is aware of the issue not showing in HTTP v2 and is working on it.