No Rederers were found - UMS is not finding my PS4 or my PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jsk

No Rederers were found - UMS is not finding my PS4 or my PS3

Post by jsk »

I can't figure out why I cannot find my ps3 or ps4 as a media render in UMS. I am using java 8, with the correct windows version for java 8.

Ive disabled the windows firewall on both private and guest/public. UPNP is enabled in my router. I am on a clean install of windows 10, with a clean install of UMS, using a TP Link Archer C7 router. Ive also tried forcing the networking interface to my intel network card.

Any help would be appreciated, if you need more info just ask.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(31.52 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Nadahar

Re: No Rederers were found - UMS is not finding my PS4 or my PS3

Post by Nadahar »

I looked at your log, and UMS finds your router - but get no sign of life from anything else. You don't have to enable uPnP in the router for UMS to work, they have nothing to communicate about. I'd say this is a firewall or network configuration issue. You say you have turned off Windows firewall, I take it you don't run another firewall software as well (as one of those that comes with many antivirus packages)? Since UMS can see the router though, firewall is probably not the problem.

That leaves network configuration. Please remember that the DLNA protocol requires the server and the renderers to be on the same IP subnet, because DLNA is based on uPnP which relies on multicast/broadcast. If there's a router between the server and the renderers, it will not work unless the router is transparent/bridging.
jsk

Post by jsk »

They are on the same subnet, see my ipconfig here on the PC and from the PS4 both attached. The PS3 is also on the same subnet.

This may be completely unrelated, but Ill mention it just in case it isn't. I use plex, for the time being as a backup, because I couldn't get UMS to work after moving to Win 10. And even using plex, I have to restart the server any time I power on one of the rendering devices. Where as before on starting up these devices it would auto show whatever I had running, UMS, PS3M or Plex.

I dug in to my C7 Archer router a bit more as well. IGMP is enabled, as I believe it should be. And I made sure the SP1 firewall was disabled on the router, still nothing.
Attachments
uJhZyhO.jpg
uJhZyhO.jpg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 40626 times
pc ipconfig.PNG
pc ipconfig.PNG (13.48 KiB) Viewed 40626 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If this is your internet router, don't turn off it's firewall. This is your "real" firewall against the internet and it should always be on. However, as long as NAT is enabled, any incoming access to the devices behind the firewall is denied, but the router itself could be very vulnerable with the firewall off.

It's the firewall on the computer running UMS that should be off and isn't needed in normal cases (since the router already protects the local network). I don't know why you'd want IGMP, but it doesn't affect UMS' operation in any way.

If Plex is working from the same computer but UMS is not, I really don't know what is going on. I'd try a "clean" installation where no custom configs, plugins etc is used, and then apply your custom stuff one by one and see when things stop working. Another thing is that Plex could grab the port UMS is configured to use, and thus deny UMS access. Try shutting down Plex completely before starting UMS.
jsk

Post by jsk »

I only turned it off for one reboot just to test it out.

Ya, the windows software firewall has been off the whole time on this new install. This was a fresh install of win10, UMS, everything. No custom configs or plugins. Just trying to get it working on a stock install. Ive tried with plex off, with plex uninstalled, etc. At this point I am at a loss.

Seems like it would maybe be something simple I was missing. On my Win 8.1 install before this new harddrive (and with the same router), everything worked fine (UMS, Plex, PS3M). I just don't get it.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The reason I thought this wasn't a clean install, was this line in your log:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2015-12-02 00:12:57.012 [main] An invalid plugin was ignored (2)
It tells me that there's something in UMS' plugin folder that's not part of the standard installation. Even if you did a "clean" install did you do it on previously used folders?

Another "shot in the dark" would be to try to run UMS as an administrator to make sure there's no missing permissions, although the log doesn't indicate that.

Last, we've had reports recently that UMS have had trouble working properly with the latest Java 8 versions (1.8.0_65, 1.8.0_66) on Windows 10. While the problems so far has been only with transcoding as far as I know, reverting to 1.8.0_60 has resolved these issues. We haven't yet been able to figure out what is causing the problems with the latest Java updates. You are running 1.8.0_66, so a revert to 1.8.0_60 could be worth a try.

Except from the above, I have no idea what could be wrong.
jsk

Post by jsk »

So I still havent given up on this. I just lost the drive to troubleshoot it for a while.

I did revert to 1.8.0_60. I am on ums 5.3.1-java8. Full clean reinstall, and I reset my router to factory defaults as well.

While I am still getting no renderers found when using my ps4 or ps3, once thing I am noticing now is I am getting m-search trace lines from each device, as well as a Resending last discovery line from each one and their respective IP/port.

Yet still no renderers and no media is found by either device.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

We have since found the problem with the Java version, and it wasn't 1.8.0_66 that was the problem but using a 64 bit JVM. This is fixed in 5.5.0.

If you get m-search trace lines I'd like to get new debug files, preferrably from 5.5.0.
jsk

Post by jsk »

Okay, this is now UMS 5.5.0 for Java 8, along with Java 1.8.0_60 (jre-8u60-windows-x64)

Still no luck on the renderers, but here are my logs. This is a clean install startup with the PS4 on. And then one attempt manually back on the PS4 to hunt for media servers and nothing popped up. And then I just let things run for a while.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(32.8 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The only thing I can find is that the IP of your server (192.168.2.101) mismatches with your screenshot (192.168.2.102), but I'm guessing that you have changed that since you took the screenshot. In the last log, UMS finds a device 192.168.2.103 which I assume is the PS4. It doesn't receive any further contact from 192.168.2.103 though. UMS also finds your router on 192.168.2.1.

I have no idea why this doesn't work, maybe restarting the PS4 while UMS is running could help? I take it the Windows firewall is still off. The only thing I can see that I find a little bit strange is that the PS4 lists NAT to NAT type 2. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Either it's read the router configuration via UPnP, and the router should run NAT, or NAT is somehow configured in the PS4 itself. NAT should NOT be configured in the PS4, that would block network traffic to the PS4. Maybe you should check the network configuration for the PS4 to make sure there is no NAT configured there. That doesn't explain why the PS3 isn't found though.

A trace log from when both the PS3 and PS4 was turned on while UMS was capturing log could be interesting though.