Broken subtitles? How to fix it!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ExSport

Broken subtitles? How to fix it!

Post by ExSport »

Hello all
During the weekend I spotted that on my Panasonic TV for which UMS automatically adds black bars to fix Aspect Ratio, subtitles are not missing and overlays each other.
So I was digging and testing and found some changes from past.
It seems new MEncoder builds (tested on Windows) have different behavior from past.
Panasonic and other renderers are using "-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:4" so bad AR is fixed automatically.
But it doesn't work anymore.
When I removed "16/9" part, subs were correct but it is needed for AR fix so it is not a solution.
Then I found out that when I put "softskip" from beginning to the end, subs were rendered correctly! Tested with embedded soft subs (SRT).
So tried external SRT one and another problem. Subs were displayed twice overlayed, one white without special chars and second one in yellow including special characters (diactrics).
Fix was changing ":1:" to ":0:". In past if someone wanted to render subs outside the screen(to the added black bars), it had to be enabled (OSD=1). Now it is opposite.
Have to say, only SOFT subs are affected and when "ASS/SSA subtitle styling" is enabled. PGS or VOBSUB worked without problem without any modifications.
Final working change was: "-vf expand=::::0:16/9:4,softskip"
If used in Renderer.conf, working change is:

Code: Select all

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf expand=::::0:16\/9:4,softskip
I know that with some videos, when "expand" is used, picture will be sometimes corrupted. Because of that "softskip,expand=" is used in UMS code.
When I found this behavior, if I remember right, it doesn't worked when "softskip" was used at the end. I can't find what test files did this picture corruption so can't test if new command is OK or it will be better to use it on both sides of command line:

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::0:16\/9:4,softskip
Hopefully someone will reproduce it. I am sure because in last few months some people wrote that subs are overlayed or doubled so same what I spotted now.
ExSport
EDIT:
It seems with latest MEncoder versions I am not able to reproduce scrambled picture when "softskip" is not used at the beginning so it should be enough to use it at the end of the line only :idea:
Last edited by ExSport on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ExSport

Re: Broken subtitles? How to fix it!

Post by ExSport »

Seems you are ignoring me SubJunk :mrgreen:
I know my posts are sometimes like spam but anyway useful for reading ;)
civ

Post by civ »

I finally got my new Panasonic TC-P50UT50 hooked up to the network today and tried UMS. Initially with subtitles enabled the aspect ratio was correct but the subs were doubled and on top of each other. When force-disabling subtitles in UMS Transcoding Settings, saving/restarting UMS, the video no longer shows subtitles but the black bars which corrected the aspect ratio disappeared, now stretching the content vertically.

Seems like I'm seeing the same behavior you described, ExSport. :)

None of the changes listed appear to correct the AR when subtitles are disabled. Are there any other changes necessary besides in Panasonic.conf?
civ

Post by civ »

Ah, I had to force transcode and change

DLNALocalizationRequired=false
to

DLNALocalizationRequired=true
for the TV to be able to play the MEncoder version. It was unable to read the file without the change and seems to be working now. Black bars with correct aspect ratio and subs disabled.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

DlnaLocalization has nothing to do with forcing MEncoder engine.
Please disable it again and retest it. AR was not fixed because when subs are not needed and file is compatible, ums will skip MEncoder usage.
Use #Transcode# folder and play file with subs !starting! with [MEncoder]. It will force MEncoder to be used.
Thx
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

ExSport thanks for your input. I included your formula to the internal Mencoder setting. It coul'd be enabled in renderer.conf by adding line

KeepAspectRatio=true
and deleting the

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4
Great job.
carlotino

Post by carlotino »

Last night I installed UMS for Windows 2.4.2 and the subtitles (external SRT) were displayed twice overlayed in my Panasonic SmartViera.

Will this be fixed in the next versión of UMS?

Thanks!
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

The code is already implemented in beta versions but you can test it also with version you are using right now if it will work 8-)
Replace similar line in Panasonic.conf with this one

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf expand=::::0:16\/9:4,softskip
Let us know if it works for you ;)
carlotino

Post by carlotino »

Thanks ExSport... you were right.