How Can I Use Plex W/UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nickm11

How Can I Use Plex W/UMS?

Post by Nickm11 »

I have an old Sony Network Medial player that I mostly use to stream music to my good preamp. It's doesnt have a Plex app on it, so I'd like to find away to use Plex though UMS. Is that possible and how would I configure my Mac to make it work?
Wolfgan

Re: How Can I Use Plex W/UMS?

Post by Wolfgan »

Nickm11 wrote:I have an old Sony Network Medial player that I mostly use to stream music to my good preamp. It's doesnt have a Plex app on it, so I'd like to find away to use Plex though UMS. Is that possible and how would I configure my Mac to make it work?
Does your Player support DLNA? And if yes, which A/V formats does it support natively? Once confirmed, please then proceed to http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1 and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2379
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UMS is a DLNA server just like Plex. If your device can't see Plex without an "app", then it can't see UMS either. The device need to have DLNA support for UMS to be useful.
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

It does have DLNA.

Don't know if it's alright to post the url to the info.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-ho ... dl=SMPN100

Plex has this setting.

DLNA client preferences
Client-specific configuration settings for the DLNA server.

It has an area to write some info in it, but I haven't got a clue what it should be.

I have to say I really like Plex with all the unsupported plugins. It's kind of like Kodi, but much easier.

Tried running Plex server and Plex Home Theater on my Mac, but with success. I can D/L the show, but that's not what I want to do.