Hide many folders

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
maudit

Hide many folders

Post by maudit »

Hi,
I would try to show on TV some recordings stored in a lot of dir/subdir categorized in a way like this:

d:\device\day\hour\start_time\file1.mkv
d:\device\day\hour\start_time\file2.mkv
etc..

some subdir contain small system files.

is there a way to hide all these directories as I can only see all the files directly without pressing a lot of buttons?
for example it would nice an option like this "hide all subdir that not contain files bigger that "X" megabytes".
or simply "search and show only *.mkv"

thanks
Nadahar

Re: Hide many folders

Post by Nadahar »

UMS has a media library function, although it hasn't gotten much attention in later years. It has been renamed to "cache", but if you make sure that "Use cache" and "Show cache folder" is enabled, you should see a folder "## Cache ##" when browsing. In there you can find all your media sorted in different way.

However, to populate the media library you have to do a scan. The scanning has been very buggy when I've tested it, but you'll just have to try it and see how it goes. You start the scan by pressing the magnifying glass above your shared folders definition.
maudit

Post by maudit »

it works

thank you
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Nadahar wrote:UMS has a media library function, although it hasn't gotten much attention in later years. It has been renamed to "cache", but if you make sure that "Use cache" and "Show cache folder" is enabled, you should see a folder "## Cache ##" when browsing. In there you can find all your media sorted in different way.

However, to populate the media library you have to do a scan. The scanning has been very buggy when I've tested it, but you'll just have to try it and see how it goes. You start the scan by pressing the magnifying glass above your shared folders definition.
I've always had a question on how the cache would work...

I put all my shows in folders on an external drive. I will then burn the shows I like and delete them while getting new TV shows. Does the cache "realize" that I've deleted folders automatically and remove them from the cache? Or do I have to do a scan for that to happen?

Also, I put my DVD drive in the shared folders in UMS so I can play burned shows. Will the cache store what was on Disc 1, for example, in the cache DB? I assume it does. Then will it update if I put in a new disc, Disc 2? Can I exclude drives from the cache?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are many shortcomings of the "cache" system, I'm not sure exactly how or if orphans are pruned, but I suspect a full scan is the only thing that will do it. My intention is to rework this system in a not too distant future.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Madoka wrote:Also, I put my DVD drive in the shared folders in UMS so I can play burned shows. Will the cache store what was on Disc 1, for example, in the cache DB? I assume it does. Then will it update if I put in a new disc, Disc 2? Can I exclude drives from the cache?
I'm intrigued by how UMS manage not always present folders (ie DVD-drives, external disks). Is there any config to make them appear and be re-scaned when inserted/mounted? (kind of lazy mount/scan) Currently only get an error at start:

Code: Select all

15:32:50 WARN  The directory P:\ does not exist. Please remove it from your Shared folders list on the Navigation/Share Settings tab
Thx, Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Wolfgan wrote:
Madoka wrote:Also, I put my DVD drive in the shared folders in UMS so I can play burned shows. Will the cache store what was on Disc 1, for example, in the cache DB? I assume it does. Then will it update if I put in a new disc, Disc 2? Can I exclude drives from the cache?
I'm intrigued by how UMS manage not always present folders (ie DVD-drives, external disks). Is there any config to make them appear and be re-scaned when inserted/mounted? (kind of lazy mount/scan) Currently only get an error at start:

15:32:50 WARN  The directory P:\ does not exist. Please remove it from your Shared folders list on the Navigation/Share Settings tab
Thx, Wolf
There currently isn't any other options then a full scan. As I said, there's a lot lacking in the media library department, since it's "deprecated" by some. You can just ignore the warning though, it just means that that share won't be available. You need to mount whatever you have there before you start UMS, and then browse there via the folder structure (not the "cache"). Using the cache for removable media really isn't viable.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Nadahar wrote:
Wolfgan wrote:

Thx, Wolf
There currently isn't any other options then a full scan. As I said, there's a lot lacking in the media library department, since it's "deprecated" by some. You can just ignore the warning though, it just means that that share won't be available. You need to mount whatever you have there before you start UMS, and then browse there via the folder structure (not the "cache"). Using the cache for removable media really isn't viable.
Thx Nadahar. Isn't there any way to treat a folder like the (virtual) web one? (the behavior I observed is being scanned on folder opening (from the renderer), and going out and in allows changing the web.conf change on the fly if there's any error)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

When you navigate via the folder structure (not via ## Cache ##) folders are scanned on the fly, but that's not possible with the media library (cache) as it's organization doesn't mirror the folder structure and we'd have to scan all over the place all the time.

There is more that could be done, like doing regular background scans for changes and getting notified by the OS it any of the "watched" folders change while UMS is running. But as stated above, the media library hasn't been prioritized and using direct folder browsing has been recommended - so nobody has done this. I'd like to look at it in the future, but I have many other things on my to-do list.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Nadahar wrote:When you navigate via the folder structure (not via ## Cache ##) folders are scanned on the fly, but that's not possible with the media library (cache) as it's organization doesn't mirror the folder structure and we'd have to scan all over the place all the time.

There is more that could be done, like doing regular background scans for changes and getting notified by the OS it any of the "watched" folders change while UMS is running. But as stated above, the media library hasn't been prioritized and using direct folder browsing has been recommended - so nobody has done this. I'd like to look at it in the future, but I have many other things on my to-do list.
Thanks! Maybe using the existing virtual folder code will allow for a quick mock up of lazy/remote/plugged in folders somehow.