PS3: Transcode to h.264 instead of MPEG-2?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
smirk

PS3: Transcode to h.264 instead of MPEG-2?

Post by smirk »

Hi, I have more CPU than bandwidth, so I thought I'd transcode movies to h.264 instead of MPEG-2 when streaming to my PS3. Following viewtopic.php?t=2796, I added "TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers\Sony-PlayStation3.conf. However, all but one video file appears to still be using MPEG-2 (even those that are already in h.264 format). To check what format is being received, I'm pressing the Select button on the PS3 remote and noting what it says in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Every video but one said "MPEG-2"; one said "MPEG-4".

What am I doing wrong? How can I get UMS to either send the raw h.264 or transcode other formats to h.264 for my Playstation 3?

Thanks!

P.S. This is a pretty stock installation. FFMPEG is the default renderer. Running UMS 5.5.0.
Nadahar

Re: PS3: Transcode to h.264 instead of MPEG-2?

Post by Nadahar »

You need to post debug files (red text above) to enable anyone that want to help to look into it.
smirk

Re: PS3: Transcode to h.264 instead of MPEG-2?

Post by smirk »

My apologies, I figured I was merely configuring something wrong and wasn't trying to post a bug report or anything.

I figured out the problem: there were two PS3 .conf files in the directory and the first one alphabetically was the unmodified one. Once I renamed that one, the one that I modified to use h.264 then became active.

Thanks!