Stream to xBox AND audio receiver in parallel

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
2000hoschi

Stream to xBox AND audio receiver in parallel

Post by 2000hoschi »

Hi, I#m using UMS now for a while and it#s great.
You can configure a lot and mostly everything is easy to use.

But now I#ve a question and problem I cannot figure out.....maybe somebody can help.
Setup
1x xbox 360
2x (4x) Samsung R7 wireless speakers

I would like to watch a movie on my xbox BUT have the audio stream on my separate audio devices (Samsung R7).
My question is: how can I configure UMS to send the audio stream to different devices than the choosen video player ?

Many thanks for your help and tips !!!
Hoschi
Nadahar

Re: Stream to xBox AND audio receiver in parallel

Post by Nadahar »

You can't. I think there's an option to send AC3 to SPDIF if that's available, but I really don't know how that works. In principle what you're asking isn't logical, UMS can serve any number of renderers and there's no way to tell UMS where to send the audio that corresponds to the video if they were split up. Also, your speakers would have to be networked and have a DLNA client.

What you need to do is to connect the speakers to your renderer and configure that to send the audio where you want it.
2000hoschi

Post by 2000hoschi »

Hello and thanks for your fast replay !

maybe I'll give some more information to understand the idea:
>In principle what you're asking isn't logical,
It is - thats because I#m asking but this is esotheric.....
> UMS can serve any number of renderers and there's no way to tell UMS where to send the audio that corresponds to the video if they were split up.
Yes that's the idea behind. Because there are more and more so multiroom speaker (like my Samsung R7 - http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/WAM7500/ZA) and others. I've plenty of them and distributed all around my house (niceeeeeeeee :-) !!!)
I figured it out to use them with UMS and audio streaming - but what I want is to see the movie on my big TV screen (played by the xbox) and have the audio played with my multi-room system.
>Also, your speakers would have to be networked and have a DLNA client.
Please check the link - and yes they have !
But that's all they have and unfortunately I cannot connect them to my xbox neither to my TV............
THat's because #m asking fot that "split video/sound" functionality :-)

Hope that shed some more light into my "idea" and what I try to archive
Hoschi
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

2000hoschi wrote:Hello and thanks for your fast replay !
Yes that's the idea behind. Because there are more and more so multiroom speaker (like my Samsung R7 - http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/WAM7500/ZA) and others. I've plenty of them and distributed all around my house (niceeeeeeeee :-) !!!)
I figured it out to use them with UMS and audio streaming - but what I want is to see the movie on my big TV screen (played by the xbox) and have the audio played with my multi-room system.
I really don't see the application of these speakers. All I can see on the link is that you can "send" audio from your mobile phone via an app. I see no mention of DLNA support (which is the standard used by UMS), and there's no decoding device here. I don't even see any support for simple stereo.

It seems to me like this is some proprietary protocol made by Samsung, since only Samsung 3D TV's from 2013 and up can connect to them in addition to the mobile app. The fact that they can't even be connected to a receiver that can control them renders them useless for anything but your phone (and the odd Samsung TV) as I see it. This really has nothing to do with what UMS does. If we could get the protocol specification (which I doubt is public), we probably could implement it but I personally wouldn't want to do that. Implementing a protocol is usually a lot of work and requires a lot of testing and maintenance. This standard would have to be really widespread for this to make much sense as I see it.

I guess you could install something like BubbleUPnP on your phone and select only the audio in the "Transcode" folder and distribute it to your speakers via the phone. Good luck on getting audio and video synchronized though, as they will play independent form each other.
2000hoschi

Post by 2000hoschi »

HI, I already use the speakers with UMS :-)
It#s pretty working well :-)
JFk1811

Post by JFk1811 »

Hi Hoschi, can you tell me how were you able to play from the UMS software to your Samsung WAMs? I have the M7 (WAM750) and I can't play from UMS directly to it; I have to go through the Samsung app, since UMS recognizes it as Samsung E+ Series and that's how far I get:
SamsungM7.png
SamsungM7.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

JFk1811 wrote:Hi Hoschi, can you tell me how were you able to play from the UMS software to your Samsung WAMs? I have the M7 (WAM750) and I can't play from UMS directly to it; I have to go through the Samsung app, since UMS recognizes it as Samsung E+ Series and that's how far I get:
SamsungM7.png
Check http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1 and see if you can create an specific profile for it.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
JFk1811

Post by JFk1811 »

Hi Wolfgan,

thanks for your reply. I tried to set up a specific profile and failed, therefore I was wondering how Hoschi managed to set his speakers up.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

JFk1811 wrote:Hi Wolfgan,

thanks for your reply. I tried to set up a specific profile and failed, therefore I was wondering how Hoschi managed to set his speakers up.
Post the relevant info from the logs you got following the FAQ and your try for the custom profile and maybe the community can help (without actually having that hardware to test)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
2000hoschi

Post by 2000hoschi »

Hi, sorry have been in holidays.

Yes I created a custom profile for the device.....
The most important point was, set everythingto wav and chunked transfer to false

Bought some more devices from Samsung - and it would be really great to have a streaming option in UMS like:
Video: TVdevice
Audio: AudiDevices.........

With kind regards
Hoschi