UMS Won't start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
darknaio

UMS Won't start

Post by darknaio »

As far as I can tell, UMS is not starting for me at all (Windows 10, any other relevant information let me know and I'll provide it). I have tried opening it with task manager up and it doesn't even appear to be opening and crashing, as I dont ever see UMS.exe or anything remotely similar pop up when I try opening it. I'm not sure what the cause of it not opening at all would be, but as it won't I'm unable to provide any information from the program as per the "How to ask for help" guidelines. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Wolfgan

Re: UMS Won't start

Post by Wolfgan »

UMS.exe is just a launcher. After launch, you'll see a java instance (javaw.exe) running in your system.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
darknaio

Post by darknaio »

I looked after running the launcher, and no java to be found in task mgr, looked thru the whole list. I'm on windows 10 if that might be a problem. When opening the launcher, nothing pops up at all, no splash screen, nothing, so I'm wondering what could be the cause?
Svenny1

Post by Svenny1 »

Hallo,
I've the same problem in Windows 10 64Bit, My UMS also doesn't start at Windows startup...
One way to start it manually is to kill all java instances in Task Manager an then start UMS again.
But this is not a satisfied solution at all...
Uninstalling or reinstalling Java and UMS also doesn't solve the problem...
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Open a command prompt and launch UMS.exe from the installation folder to try capture any error (ie java not in the path?)
There's also a manual ums.bat file in the same folder that you may use alternatively for testing.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Svenny1

Post by Svenny1 »

Thank you for the hint about ums.bat :P , i add a row with 30 seconds timeout and paste the link to Autostart, now UMS starts after 30 seconds timeout at Windows startup :mrgreen:
Tessero

Post by Tessero »

Svenny,

How did you add that to the .bat file and where did you link it?
SYSYA

Post by SYSYA »

Hi guys. I had the same problem with Windows 10. After a little trial and error, I found a few solutions that worked for me. Hopefully one will work for you.

Solution 1: (This was half of my problem) In the ‘General Configuration’ section I had both “Start Automatically With Windows” checked and I also had it installed as a windows service. Apparently it doesn’t like that. You need to do one or the other. To check to see if it’s installed as a windows service, you have to show advanced options. If you can’t get the program to start, run task manager and check for “Java Service Wrapper…”. If that is running, that’s the windows service and you have to stop it before opening the program.

Solution 2: (This was the other half of my problem) I like using UMS as a windows service because I like to have my server running but not logged into a user. Even though I have another firewall program installed, windows firewall was still turned on and blocking the UMS service. If you are going to use UMS as a windows service, you have to open ports 5001 and 9001 in windows firewall (so I read on a different page – I didn’t actually try it). Or if you are using a different firewall, just turn off windows firewall like I did.

Solution 3: If I set UMS to NOT run as a windows service, but to start automatically with windows, it seemed to work fine for me. I could reboot my computer and it would start after I logged in. But before I figured out my problem I tried delaying startup as others suggested. So if it won’t start automatically when your computer boots, but you can manually start it after a short wait, you can try the delayed start up. Maybe Java hasn’t fully loaded when UMS is starting. Who Knows?
To delay the startup of UMS, there a several programs you can use that will delay startup programs. Some of them are free and probably work fine. But I created a simple script using Autohotkey that I placed in the windows startup folder that runs when windows starts, waits for 30 seconds while everything else loads, runs UMS, then closes. If you are interested, here is the script…

Secs := 30
SetTimer, CountDown, 1000
MsgBox, 1, UMS Startup in 30 Seconds, Press OK to start now, %Secs%
SetTimer, CountDown, Off
IfMsgBox, Cancel
exit
Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\UMS.exe, , min
Return
CountDown:
Secs -= 1
WinSetTitle, UMS Startup in,, UMS Startup in %Secs% Seconds
Return
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Good points. I have a 4th to add to your solutions list of why UMS might not be starting.

Solution 4: Check your anti-virus software. Does it have a "real-time" scanner? By that I mean does it scan for viruses with every file you download? If so, find the options menu and look for the option to add files and folders to the exclusion list and add the UMS programs folder. This worked for me, I was getting load times of up to 30 minutes when starting windows and just as long when needing to restart UMS when it wasn't running. After I added UMS to my exclusions list, UMS loads instantly under windows 10.
MTOakey

Post by MTOakey »

SYSYA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:43 pm If you are interested, here is the script…

Secs := 30
SetTimer, CountDown, 1000
MsgBox, 1, UMS Startup in 30 Seconds, Press OK to start now, %Secs%
SetTimer, CountDown, Off
IfMsgBox, Cancel
exit
Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\UMS.exe, , min
Return
CountDown:
Secs -= 1
WinSetTitle, UMS Startup in,, UMS Startup in %Secs% Seconds
Return

What did you name the file?
I have the brandest newest UMS in a fully Updated Win11... and all of a sudden it refuses to open at Startup.... I have never checked the "Run as Service". I have put shortcuts in both the "All Users" and my own Users "Startup" folder - also did uninstall/Clean Install - and still no worky.
“A truth’s initial commotion
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
“The surest barrier to truth is the conviction you already have it.”