Videos not playing after being idle for a while

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Supermanfan77

Videos not playing after being idle for a while

Post by Supermanfan77 »

I'm not exactly sure how to explain my issue with UMS lately. Ever since I updated UMS to 6.1 my PS3 wouldn't be able to play a video if I left UMS running on my computer without playing a file for some time, If I rebooted UMS it would play a video but to the end, but sometimes wouldn't play the next file. After a couple of days of trying different things like doing a clean install of UMS and even a clean install of Java (both 32 and 64 bit) I decided to rolled back to 6.0 because I knew it wasn't doing it with that version. Except now it is, and it makes me think maybe it's my computer that's the issue and not UMS. Hopefully the logs I've attached will help someone here help me fix what I might have done to my computer. If the logs don't show anything I guess my only recourse would be to format and reinstall windows 10. At the time I installed 6.1 I also updated my Java to the latest version, but did not roll it back when I rolled back to UMS 6.0. Is it possible it's the updated version of Java that's causing my issue?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
ums_dbgPt_1.zip
First log - Fresh start
(352.65 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Last edited by Supermanfan77 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howi42

Re: Videos not playing after being idle for a while

Post by howi42 »

Same here.
After being idle for a while, UMS hangs.
It disappears from the other devices, not even the user interface will come up anymore.
A restart solves this - for a while. Then the same happens again.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

I haven't tested it by watching videos back to back to back, but I rolled back my Java to 8 update 60 and things look good. I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and the log hasn't displayed any errors like it was before like in my logs in the original post.

UPDATE: Scratch that, it's still doing it.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Is there no one that can help me? I'd really like to figure out what's wrong, is it my computer or is it the program? Or is it something else that I'm not seeing? I've tried everything I even rolled back my computer to just before this issue started happening. Nothing is working so far so any help that you can give me would be great.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Are you sure your server isn't configured to save energy when idle and disconnect power to ethernet/wifi/HDD or the like?
Or a jealous firewall/AV forcing to close connections not in use?
Try changing your power management config to full power for a while, and see if it corrects itself.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Wolfgan wrote:Are you sure your server isn't configured to save energy when idle and disconnect power to ethernet/wifi/HDD or the like?
Or a jealous firewall/AV forcing to close connections not in use?
Try changing your power management config to full power for a while, and see if it corrects itself.
Thanks for the suggestion, that was something I did try the other day actually. Maybe I'll look at my bios settings, I had to do a bios reset recently because it was acting funny when booting or rebooting my computer, it would hang at verifying dmi pool, it still does actually.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Well I just got a new modem from my ISP. I doubt that was the issue, and if I'm right and it's not I guess I will be formating my computer this weekend.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

So I have some kind of good news and not so good news in this update.

I finally formatted my hard drive, I felt it was time, computer was running slower than it should and processes were eating away at my CPU and I couldn't figure them out. One of them was UMS would take forever (10-15 minutes) to load, and even in some extreme cases only rebooting my computer could get it to load. I never mentioned it in this original post because I didn't think it was related to the bigger question of why UMS wouldn't play video's after being idle for a length of time.

After reinstalling Windows 10 the very first thing I did was install UMS and of course Java. Everything seemed fine, I was able to watch 3 episodes of X-Files. As it was getting late I just shut it down figuring everything was good, formatting my computer fixed the problem. Only it didn't. The next morning I installed my antivirus software. To make a long story short I found out it was my antivirus's real time virus scan that was causing UMS to take so long loading. So I put anything to do with UMS in the exclusions list and presto UMS no longer takes forever to load. The problem though is that it still won't play videos after a little while, however that's where things get interesting.

When I first encounter this problem it never occurred to me to try playing web videos. This time I did, but not for this reason, it just happened to be a happy coincidence. So anyways I played around watching a number of videos with Jumpy. There were a couple of instances where I thought UMS had crashed when it was taking a bit longer than normal to view a web folder, but it recovered and still kept playing videos. When I went back to my local drives, well they wouldn't play. Jumpy would even still play videos if I played local files first till I couldn't anymore. So some how there is something funky going on where UMS times out from playing local files, but not web videos. In the next day or so I'll post a new log showing what I just described here.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Ok, as promised a new trace log. I hope it helps.
Attachments
NEWums_dbg.zip
(218.48 KiB) Downloaded 408 times