[Solved] "Force external subs" option?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

[Solved] "Force external subs" option?

Post by squadjot »

Hi.. latetly i'm having problems with UMS, not playing the external subtitles. (srt)
I have to go to mencoder folder and specifically choose mencoder (subrip)
I started crying about this some time ago, but i guess, either it's not of very high priority..OR it 's a very hard problem to solve :roll:

Imo it's a huge issue..

Would a "Force external subtitles" be possible to implement?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: "Force external subs" option?

Post by SubJunk »

What's your setting for "Audio/subtitles language priority"?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I'm streaming to a PS3, but I haven't had any issues with external subs, even those files with imbeded subtitles. 2.4 and 2.5 work as I expect with external subs being prioritized.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

well right now i cant even test.. because ..read here..
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

squadjot wrote:Hi.. latetly i'm having problems with UMS, not playing the external subtitles. (srt)
I have to go to mencoder folder and specifically choose mencoder (subrip)
I started crying about this some time ago, but i guess, either it's not of very high priority..OR it 's a very hard problem to solve :roll:

Imo it's a huge issue..

Would a "Force external subtitles" be possible to implement?
Above was February (after 2 months of subtitle madness)

Now its April..and turned out NOT to be a bug.. but a development decision (still dont get that)
So.. now we have both "Disable subtitles" and a priority syntax that is basically not ABLE to do what it's supposed to (not if you want SRT's,a nd you don't want to browse a transcode folder or "Live subtitles" folder.. with dousin of other confusing options..not very "famlily friendly")

So either we need a working syntax (that dictates encoding inorder to get subtitles.. OR a force external SRT's)

I really feel i'm being openminded about this, i have named several alternate solutions that would be "ok" but nothing seems to be happening - I'm not entitled to anything.. but I'd like an response on this.

Edit: I really apreaciate all the work etc etc.. without UMS/PMS there wuld be nothing.. The reason it's so frustrating is that it seemed to work in the past!.. so it seems like UMS degraded on that specific issue
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

External subtitles are always prioritized over internal ones. If they aren't, it is a bug that we should fix. In my tests, the external subtitle is always prioritized, so if you have a case where this doesn't happen we will need logs
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Thanks for the reply

External prioritized..as of 2.6.1?

Ok, ill try !

and the Priority syntax should be blank?.. or *,und ?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I put it in 2.5.0, it's in the changelog.
Priority is a personal preference thing. If you just always want the first subtitle available regardless of language you can use blank or *,* or you can set up preferences however you want them.
werty89

Post by werty89 »

Even with using latest version (3.6.4) I can't play a single video file with external subtitles showing up if there are any internal ones. I have blanked the audio/subtitle priority settings even though external ones should be prioritized (i have left ticked the "automatically load .srt..." option). Here is my debug info.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(46.77 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Samsung UE40ES5500 with Samsung AllShare
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

You are trying to play MKV video with embedded subtitles and with external subtitles too. UMS is correctly sending CaptionInfo.sec with external subs so you have to choose on your TV to show caption to show the external subs. Your TV supports MKV video with embedded subs and shows it automatically so the prioritization is at your TV not at UMS. If the show caption doesn't work the only way how to show external subs is to choose propper subs in the TRANSCODE folder.