Hardware Requirments to encode and stream HD qulity

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
dafior01

Hardware Requirments to encode and stream HD qulity

Post by dafior01 »

Hello,
I'm looking for your advice regarding hardware for UMS. I would like to transcode over Lan FullHD movies to my Samsung PS51D6900 TV.

At the moment I have installed UMS in version 6.1.0 on my old desktop, on Linux Ubuntu 14.04LTS system 32bit with below hardware I have:
RAM 2GB
Proc: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
VGA: GeForce6800 GTS
HDD SataII WD 500G
LAN speed 100GB

My problem is very often movie is paused on TV and have to wait to start. When I check on comp what is going on, both CPU cores are 100%. In Buffer in UMS, when I stop movie, it slowly increasing but when I run movie, is consumed very fast. And than again movie is paused.
So please advice which motherboard and CPU would be fine for UMS and fullHD. Is graphic card used to transcode? So if I need also propose me.

Thank you
Supermanfan77

Re: Hardware Requirments to encode and stream HD qulity

Post by Supermanfan77 »

dafior01 wrote:Hello,
I'm looking for your advice regarding hardware for UMS. I would like to transcode over Lan FullHD movies to my Samsung PS51D6900 TV.

At the moment I have installed UMS in version 6.1.0 on my old desktop, on Linux Ubuntu 14.04LTS system 32bit with below hardware I have:
RAM 2GB
Proc: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
VGA: GeForce6800 GTS
HDD SataII WD 500G
LAN speed 100GB

My problem is very often movie is paused on TV and have to wait to start. When I check on comp what is going on, both CPU cores are 100%. In Buffer in UMS, when I stop movie, it slowly increasing but when I run movie, is consumed very fast. And than again movie is paused.
So please advice which motherboard and CPU would be fine for UMS and fullHD. Is graphic card used to transcode? So if I need also propose me.

Thank you
Similar set up to my old computer before it died except I was intel dual core and running 8 GB of ram. I quite often ran into issues playing 1080p videos so would instead download 720p. Not the greatest quality sometimes but it worked. Now I have a 6 core AMD with 32 GB of ram and have no issues with videos freezing or stuttering.
dafior01

Post by dafior01 »

Supermanfan77 wrote:Now I have a 6 core AMD with 32 GB of ram and have no issues with videos freezing or stuttering.
I'm thinking about computer which would be used only for UMS streaming to my TVs and personal FTP. I'm not sure that 6 core AMD with 32 GB RAM is not to powerful and to expensive idea.

Additionally you did not mention about VGA - is something important for UMS or not and could be any.

I have been trying to find any info related UMS hardware requirement and nothing.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

May I ask why you want to transcode everything? I run UMS in an old single core / 3GB file/media server (with plenty of storage) at home, and no issues whatsoever serving multiple renderers with a remuxing but no video transcoding policy, and I never had a quality issue with this setup even with full bdrips (everything on wired 100M ethernet thou)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

I'm thinking about computer which would be used only for UMS streaming to my TVs and personal FTP. I'm not sure that 6 core AMD with 32 GB RAM is not to powerful and to expensive idea.
I built it myself for less than $400. I didn't mention a graphics card cause I don't have UMS set up to use my GPU to assist my CPU in transcoding, and my GPU is integrated into my motherboard so isn't of the best quality anyways.