Niggling Bugs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
tonkatuff

Niggling Bugs

Post by tonkatuff »

Firstly guys, I love the software and am a huge fan - it just keeps getting better.

That being said, I haven't found the versions to be stable for many, many releases - I have two recurring issues (but they are more annoying than critical).

1) I think there are still some major memory leaks in MEncoder/MPlayer, which means I need to close and restart UMS or reboot my PC to get it working properly. The memory leak manifests itself as an inability to transcode files that would need MPlayer capability (I prioritise it above FFmpeg as I find FFmpeg causes files to skip randomly). I can always tell if I'm going to have this problem because MPlayer has also stopped generating new icons. If I un-check the "Use MPlayer for video thumbnails" checkbox, the icons can be generated, but the file still throws an error when I try to play it.

2) I still get random pauses in file playback (usually only on movies or content above 720p). Sometimes the pause restarts itself, other times I need to exit and replay the file.

I'm using a brand new dedicated PC with Windows 8 and Quad Xeon processors with 16GB RAM (and found the problem to also exist on Win 7), and end-to-end Gigabit Ethernet streaming to PS3. I've tried to install with double the Java heap size, but when I do so using the modifier in the installer package, I get a "could not create the Java Virtual Machine" fatal exception error. If I double the settings in the UMS.bat, and start the program that way, it seems to not create the exception error, but I'd rather not start the program through UMS.bat if I can help it.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Niggling Bugs

Post by SubJunk »

Have you tried doing a clean install of the latest version (resetting your config and MPlayer cache)? For me, the memory thing was fixed by using the newer defaults
tonkatuff

Post by tonkatuff »

Hi Subjunk,

Thanks for the quick reply. Had tried the clean install with a previous version, but not with 2.4.2. Tried it yesterday, but it didn't help - I still get an error when I try and launch UMS after installing with increased Java memory. 2.4.2 is still giving me regular paused playback (but more often than not, it is a brief freeze for a second or two and then it plays as normal).

Cheers,

Matt.
Impee

Post by Impee »

Hi,

I had the memory issue too (see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=536&p=4085#p2720).

This problem disappeared for me as soon as i start using UMS 2.4.1.
At the same time, i upgraded to Java 1.7 (64-bit) and removed all other JRE's. Maybe this is related as well?

Regards,
Impee
Regards,
Impee.