Transcoding with FFmpeg VS MEncoder?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
starterz

Transcoding with FFmpeg VS MEncoder?

Post by starterz »

Hello everyone,

Little help please. I am transcoding videos to show .srt subtitles on my TV set. I have been transcoding with MEncoder, but I see that new versions of UMS support subtitles with FFmpeg. What is the difference? Which one should I use?

I see many configuration options in MEncoder, especially concerning the subs. Only "enable multithreading" option is present in FFmpeg.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you and all best.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Transcoding with FFmpeg VS MEncoder?

Post by SubJunk »

FFmpeg is usually more reliable for synchronisation so if you're having audio sync problems with MEncoder you can try FFmpeg. FFmpeg does not support seeking with subtitles though
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

If you're going to be using subtitles I'd say stick with Mencoder. It saves you the trouble of having to use external subs. Just take the time to play with the Transcoding Settings tab > Common Transcode Settings > Audio/subtitles language priority and set it up how you like it.

For example I have mine set like this (just to give you an idea):

jpn,eng;jpn,und;und,und;eng,off

Plus with Mencoder you can chapter skip (w/ subs) and it still works just fine.

FFMpeg is overall a better program, but until it supports internal subs I'd say stick with Mencoder still.
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
starterz

Post by starterz »

I use external subs only, but thanks for clearing things up for me.

MEncoder it is then.