Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

For help and support with Universal Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
orgon3
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by orgon3 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I just installed 2.5.2.1 and noticed the auto-limit was set to 1152. I installed and upon running the program, the same startup error occurred (could not create java virtual blah blah blah). I just did a little brute test and the highest value that works for me (personally) is 1110. 1111 and beyond result in that startup error.

I have 8GBs of RAM installed. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I am not forcing UMS to use Java64.

Madoka
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by Madoka » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 am

Ok, that's interesting. As I also have 8 GB of RAM, am on Win7 64-bit, but I only have 64-bit Java installed.

2.5.2 starts and works ok for me, but UMS reports:

03-19 12:56:00 Memory: 1137 MB

with the default 1280 MB at installation. In fact, UMS has always reported a little less memory than the default value UMS uses (which I never change). Still, it works so I leave it.

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by SubJunk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 am

I just quietly released 2.5.2.2 which reverts the memory change so that should work now :)

orgon3
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by orgon3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 pm

SubJunk wrote:I just quietly released 2.5.2.2 which reverts the memory change so that should work now :)
You sneak, you.

orgon3
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by orgon3 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 am

Madoka wrote:Ok, that's interesting. As I also have 8 GB of RAM, am on Win7 64-bit, but I only have 64-bit Java installed.

2.5.2 starts and works ok for me, but UMS reports:

03-19 12:56:00 Memory: 1137 MB

with the default 1280 MB at installation. In fact, UMS has always reported a little less memory than the default value UMS uses (which I never change). Still, it works so I leave it.
Yeah, I still use 32-bit browsers since the 64bit ones still suck.

ExSport
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by ExSport » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 am

You can use 32bit browsers (with 32bit Java) but also install 64bit Java for UMS. It is nothing against anything. UMS will benefit from 64bit Java that you can allocate more memory for UMS.

orgon3
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by orgon3 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 pm

ExSport wrote:You can use 32bit browsers (with 32bit Java) but also install 64bit Java for UMS. It is nothing against anything. UMS will benefit from 64bit Java that you can allocate more memory for UMS.
I was referring to the fact that he said he only had 64-bit Java installed. Can the installer simply look for Java 64-bit, and if it's available, force UMS to use it? (aka: I'm lazy)

Madoka
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by Madoka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 pm

ExSport wrote:UMS will benefit from 64bit Java that you can allocate more memory for UMS.
Is this my 2.5.2 works for while while it doesn't for others, or is it a completely different reason altogether?

User avatar
Optimus_prime
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by Optimus_prime » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 pm

From looking at the code, the installer doesn't look for 64bit java first but if you have 32bit installed first. Then it checks to see if 64bit. Thats how i read it anyway, i could be very wrong however
Madoka wrote:Is this my 2.5.2 works for while while it doesn't for others, or is it a completely different reason altogether?
Well it has to do with how much of the java heap size is being used by other programs and how much ram java allocates to the heap in the first place. You will find it will change every time
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum

orgon3
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Startup error still present in 2.5.2.1

Post by orgon3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Optimus_prime wrote:From looking at the code, the installer doesn't look for 64bit java first but if you have 32bit installed first. Then it checks to see if 64bit. Thats how i read it anyway, i could be very wrong however
For me, UMS has always used 32bit Java, unless I specifically tell it not to. 64bit Java has always been available, but it's never been used by default. Kind of defeats the point of having it.

Post Reply