CoreAVC

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
S7eele

CoreAVC

Post by S7eele »

In a moment of "divine inspiration" I decided to so some housekeeping with regard to codecs and such when I switched from PMS to UMS. I had always used the CCCP codec pack and CoreAVC with PMS. Before installing UMS I removed all codec packs and so forth and then installed Shark007's Vista Codec Pack, AviSynth and CoreAVC before installing UMS. Surprise :shock: , I have now encountered some problems. Before I spend anyone else's time discussing the matter I though it best to get an opinion from some folks who are a lot smarter than I when it comes to such matters so my first question is:

"Is there any reason that I would want to continue using CoreAVC?"

I originally started using it because it was, as I understood it, a better H.264 codec. I have looked around a bit but haven't been able to find anything stating clearly that this is no longer true. I am not real familiar with LAV but it seems like it may be equal to or better than CoreAVC. :?

Thanks all for your input,

Peace!
Peace!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: CoreAVC

Post by SubJunk »

Best option for codecs:

1) Uninstall all codecs/codec packs
2) Restart the computer
3) Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (ignore 64-bit anything, just the normal one)
4) In the installer, select the option "lots of stuff"
5) Restart the computer

Now all files should play :)

I should add this to the FAQ too...
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

SubJunk wrote:Best option for codecs:

1) Uninstall all codecs/codec packs
2) Restart the computer
3) Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (ignore 64-bit anything, just the normal one)
4) In the installer, select the option "lots of stuff"
5) Restart the computer

Now all files should play :)

I should add this to the FAQ too...
Thanks for reply as always. Before continuing with further discussion on the topic of using CoreAVC I have a specific question regarding the part of your response below:
SubJunk wrote:3) Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (ignore 64-bit anything, just the normal one)
I am running 64-bit Vista, does this still apply? Not an expert but will try to ask in layman terms: Is it because the codecs, filters, renderers (MadVR, EVR, VMR, etc.) and/or media players are not 64-bit?

Having read through this forum and spending so much time on the PS3MS forums I had seen your past recommendations for use of K-Lite and had already started down that path when I saw your reply above. I already had some of the tools/utilities that the Mega pack installs but I have uninstalled them first just in case of conflict (most are standalone .exe's anyway). After looking through the K-Lite documentation I see the benefits of using it over CCCP and plan to do so.

I hate wasting people's time but I still have unanswered questions regarding any performance, stability or quality improvements that might be seen when using CoreAVC. I completely understand it if you personally do not have the time or have nothing more to add. I also understand if you would rather not clutter up the forum, or this specific part of the forum, with this discussion. Just let me know and I will drop it.

Until then:

If anyone stumbles upon this and is willing to share any information or opinions they have regarding whether the use of CoreAVC offers any advantages (performance, stability, quality, etc.) I would certainly appreciate the input.

Unless I completely missed something, K-Lite does not include CoreAVC which is understandable as it is not free and must be purchased. It is also my understanding that using CoreAVC is still a viable option after installing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. If anyone knows differently on either point please let me know.

Thanks to all.

Peace!
Peace!
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

A strength of CoreAVC was the early adopter Nvidia Cuda support and associated GPU acceleration. This is particularly useful if you are rendering HD video and want to minimise stuttering. However, CoreAVC support of VC-1 is limited. LAV on the other hand seems to have a much wider Codec support, is constantly being improved, has excellent visual quality, supports a range of hardware accelerators and is free !!!
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

And for LAV configuration, you have a choice of using the LAV install (splitter, video, audio) or Shark007. If you are using Shark007, try disabling FDDshow and render everything using LAV including AVI. I think you will be surprised at the results. Note you will neeed a Gbit link to your display host.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

S7eele wrote:I am running 64-bit Vista, does this still apply? Not an expert but will try to ask in layman terms: Is it because the codecs, filters, renderers (MadVR, EVR, VMR, etc.) and/or media players are not 64-bit?
It's just in my experience the 32-bit versions are more stable. I use a 64-bit OS too but have always had more success with codecs by just ignoring the 64-bit versions. Maybe they have fixed the stability issues now, I'm not sure.
I haven't used CoreAVC but hope you find the info you're looking for :)
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

if i had a 64 bit processor and it was decked to the hills i would turn it into a vSphere VM host and make separate images of XP, Windows 7, Server 2008, 32 and 64 bit machines.

this way there would be no issues =)
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

Thanks all! I got tied up irl and just got the opportunity to check the replies. I installed K-Lite and CoreAVC and got media players on my machine and graphstudio to use it with CUDA enabled so now I think all I should have to do to get UMP to use CoreAVC is disable support for h.264 in LAV. I'll see which seems to work best for me and my environment.

Peace!
Peace!