UMS - If you have multiple routers?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
alargos

UMS - If you have multiple routers?

Post by alargos »

Hello there UMS

I would like to ask you ... what if i have two routers... where from the primary router i have connected (LAN to WAN) my secondary router... and from my secondary router where (DNS server is enabled, because i need it for the wireless, has stronger signal the second router than the first) my PC is connected on my secondary router...

So my UMS only register the second router where is my PC connect and the second router IP itself. Why i don't see all the network (All connected devices on the both routers) ... ???
My TV is connected on the primary router...

UMS screenshot

Router 1

-------

Router 2
Wolfgan

Re: UMS - If you have multiple routers?

Post by Wolfgan »

Usually you don't need your secondary router to act as a full router, but as an access point (many tutorials floating around).
The main router handles DHCP for the whole network, and the secondary router only uses the LAN side (both may have wifi enabled if you need so). That way all TCP & UDP packets are able to flow around the whole network, and UMS works flawlessly.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )