Server on different subnet from player

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jacount

Server on different subnet from player

Post by jacount »

Has anyone been able to run UMS on a different subnet from the host devices?

I have been unable to make this work so far. My server has a fixed IP set via DHCP reservation, and inter-VLAN routing is allowed. Do I need to set up port forwarding from the hosts to UMS and use DHCP reservations for all streaming devices?

My network is based on a Meraki MX64 firewall and the streamers are connected to a Meraki MR32 if that helps.
Wolfgan

Re: Server on different subnet from player

Post by Wolfgan »

jacount wrote:Has anyone been able to run UMS on a different subnet from the host devices?

I have been unable to make this work so far. My server has a fixed IP set via DHCP reservation, and inter-VLAN routing is allowed. Do I need to set up port forwarding from the hosts to UMS and use DHCP reservations for all streaming devices?

My network is based on a Meraki MX64 firewall and the streamers are connected to a Meraki MR32 if that helps.
UPNP/DLNA protocol uses both TCP and UDP (usually 5001 TCP and 1900 UDP), make sure your segmentation rules allows both protocols to traverse.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
jacount

Post by jacount »

I have configured the routing to allow all traffic between these 2 subnets, so everything should be allowed, but I still can't see UMS from the streaming devices.

Would it be beneficial to forward those two ports from each streamer to my UMS server?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

jacount wrote:I have configured the routing to allow all traffic between these 2 subnets, so everything should be allowed, but I still can't see UMS from the streaming devices.

Would it be beneficial to forward those two ports from each streamer to my UMS server?
I doubt it will work, as SSDP service (the basis of UPNP) uses multicast mode for announcement and presence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Se ... y_Protocol
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
jacount

Post by jacount »

I checked with Meraki, and there is no way to forward multicast traffic across VLANs on my firewall.

Is there anything else I can do, or just put everything on the same VLAN?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

jacount wrote:I checked with Meraki, and there is no way to forward multicast traffic across VLANs on my firewall.
I doubt there's anything to do if you need to keep that network topology. Why do you have separated segments? Security, routers location, differnt users, ???
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

There is no way to use the media server on the different subnet than renderer. The DLNA protocol used by the media server is based on the UPnP protocol which works only on the one subnet.
jacount

Post by jacount »

Wolfgan wrote:
jacount wrote:I checked with Meraki, and there is no way to forward multicast traffic across VLANs on my firewall.
I doubt there's anything to do if you need to keep that network topology. Why do you have separated segments? Security, routers location, differnt users, ???
I'm using separate VLANs to limit the broadcast domains, and to keep my wired and wireless networks seperate. Looks like I will have to combine them however.