Subtitle does not show

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ExSport

Re: Subtitle does not show

Post by ExSport »

Do you want to say that Serviio supports subtitles without transcoding?
Didn't checked the progress few months but I don't think it supports "soft subs".
newnews

Post by newnews »

Serviio supports external subtitles but I only get English subtitle to work. According to the support, other language files should be converted to UFT8 to get it work. I didn't try it so I am not sure.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

By soft subs I mean support for subs without transcoding.
I don't expect that Serviio send video stream as is and external subs separately so transcoding/remuxing is not needed.
In past there was no subtitle support and later external subs support was added but via ffmpeg what means video must be transcoded.
Also only few renderers support soft subs via DLNA so I suppose your expression that all mentioned servers support subs without transcoding and only UMS needs it for subs support, it is not true.
newnews

Post by newnews »

I think my statement is very clear. Serviio supports srt subtltle without transcoding(of course, in my case, only English subtitle is working).
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Your statement is so clear that I don't believe it is true as I tested it 2 months ago with no soft sub support and anywhere in forums I spotted that this cool feature Serviio supports now?
Will check new version if anything changed but one question. How are you so sure that Serviio doesn't transcode it?
Do you know what is happening? If subs are muxed in new container like mp4 (not all renderers support it) or external srt subs are sent as separate stream to the renderer (again, not all renderers support it)?
Will try to check it when I will find time....
Last edited by ExSport on Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

So Serviio supports no transcoding of subs but you only get English subs to work? Wow. I think supporting subs in all languages without converting them to UTF-8 a little bit better but thats me (and by the way to be a bit nit-picking converting to UTF-8 is per definition transcoding). There is no way that you can support external srt files without any sort of trick. Either Serviio enables the srt via an separate stream (UMS has this feature too) or it is muxed/transcoded (depending on render).
For example if you try and stream to a bravia tv which only supports mpeg2 there is no way that you can get subs into the stream unless you transcode it. I
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Seviio changelog: It brings support for different subtitles formats as well as delivery methods (hardsubs, softsubs).
Seems some new features were added two months ago, including "soft subs":
http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=33

Some tips how to do it:
Add subtitles support for Panasonic Vieira:
https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... nic-vieira
Support subtitles on Samsung C-series TV:
https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... -series-tv
add subtitles support for LG BD-390:
https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... -lg-bd-390
add support for subtitles embedded in containers (e.g. mkv):
https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... mbedded-in
newnews

Post by newnews »

Yes, I think it also depends on the renders(I am talking only the external subtitles without transcoding here).

My Asus O!play and Sharp BD player can both support srt or idx/sub subtitles locally. However, I can never get Sharp BD player to show subtitles while streaming. Asus O!play has no problem. So, it really depends on the renders even the media server is streaming the subtitles.
dumitrudan608

Post by dumitrudan608 »

Hey, i think i found a solution to missing Subtitles for Universal Media Server.
On the Transcode settings tab, make sure you have Disable Subtitles unchecked.

And on your TV, in each folder at the beginning, there is a Transcode folder, and in it you will find the videos transcoded with subtitles and audio. The quality does not seem afected, i mean it transcodes 5.1 so.... great!
avada

Post by avada »

newnews wrote: Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 pm Sorry for late reply. I do not want to transcode the movie, my player can play everything. If UMS can only show subtitle with transcoding, then it is a big disadvantage. I was testing different dlna server software, Serviio, Kooraroo, nero homemedia 4 supports subtitle very well, e.g. able to load multiple subtitles, idx/sub subtitles...

Hope UMS can add same function too
So, I disabled transcoding. Still no external subs without it? I don't see any.