Guide for Transcoding Settings?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Guide for Transcoding Settings?

Post by SubJunk »

Great, I have changed that logic in the next version. I'm still looking forward to Codyksp getting back to us so I can improve support for their TV :)
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SubJunk wrote:Great, I have changed that logic in the next version. I'm still looking forward to Codyksp getting back to us so I can improve support for their TV :)
Hey, SJ, I just tried the nightly at this new commit, and it still uses MEncoder for anime with custom fonts if the "Defer" option is checked.
Codyksp

Post by Codyksp »

I tested one of the files with the "No transcoding" option and it plays just fine. Subtitles are styled for the intro and I have no issues going forwards or backwards.
Skipping to any point in the video is actually INSTANT when I use "No transcoding" which is very, very nice. I didn't think it was possible haha.

I also checked the options for subtitles on my TV but these were actually set to "off". I can choose Russian2 and English1, however they are very simple compared to before and on pc.
I've added pictures of the subtitles (intro, before and after). I noticed that this series has mostly AAC and some MP3 audio, but the bulk of my anime has FLAC which the TV won't support.

Also, I have no idea how to not make the attachments load in my post... It's kind of annoying for other users I think.

Anyway, what exactly does this mean for me?
Attachments
IMAG0002.jpg
IMAG0002.jpg (268.02 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
IMAG0071.jpg
IMAG0071.jpg (299.99 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
IMAG0070.jpg
IMAG0070.jpg (393.55 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Madoka wrote:
SubJunk wrote:Great, I have changed that logic in the next version. I'm still looking forward to Codyksp getting back to us so I can improve support for their TV :)
Hey, SJ, I just tried the nightly at this new commit, and it still uses MEncoder for anime with custom fonts if the "Defer" option is checked.
Thanks for testing, can you give logs for that so I can try to see what's happening?
Codyksp wrote:I tested one of the files with the "No transcoding" option and it plays just fine. Subtitles are styled for the intro and I have no issues going forwards or backwards.
Skipping to any point in the video is actually INSTANT when I use "No transcoding" which is very, very nice. I didn't think it was possible haha.

I also checked the options for subtitles on my TV but these were actually set to "off". I can choose Russian2 and English1, however they are very simple compared to before and on pc.
I've added pictures of the subtitles (intro, before and after). I noticed that this series has mostly AAC and some MP3 audio, but the bulk of my anime has FLAC which the TV won't support.

Also, I have no idea how to not make the attachments load in my post... It's kind of annoying for other users I think.

Anyway, what exactly does this mean for me?
Thanks for confirming that, Codyksp. The next release will have better support for your TV. In the meantime you can choose the FFmpeg option from the #-TRANSCODE-# menu if the file has FLAC audio
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SubJunk wrote:Thanks for testing, can you give logs for that so I can try to see what's happening?
Here you go.
ums_dbg.zip
(38.4 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I think I fixed it now Madoka, please let me know :)
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SubJunk wrote:I think I fixed it now Madoka, please let me know :)
Thanks, SJ. It's fixed now for ass subs!

You may want to add subrip to that commit as I have one, rare file with embedded subrip type subtitles, and UMS still wants to use MEncoder when FFmpeg will play them.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for testing. I think the reason that condition was added was for SRT subtitles, since FFmpeg was taking a long time to load them even though it eventually worked. I wonder if that's fixed
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

SubJunk wrote:Thanks for testing. I think the reason that condition was added was for SRT subtitles, since FFmpeg was taking a long time to load them even though it eventually worked. I wonder if that's fixed
I believe it's fixed as it didn't seem to take any longer to load the embedded .srt subs compared to external subs or embedded .ass subs as in anime. If it did take longer, it was only a second. Certainly it wasn't really noticeable or particularly long. The newer FFmpegs really fixed it's issues with subtitles in my experience. I've been using FFmpeg exclusively (except for vobsub) and FFmpeg has worked great. IIRC, FFmpeg had one file it didn't like, but then MEncoder also had one it didn't like.
Codyksp

Post by Codyksp »

I recently downloaded some new .mkv files with AAC audio and ASS subs from a different sub group than I normally do, and they won't play on the newest version of UMS.
If I disable MEncoder they still won't play. After disabling tsMuxeR as well they work fine. Of course manually selecting FFMPpeg/AAC/ASS from TRANSCODE works as well.

What do you need from me to figure out why these files aren't played properly with default settings?

EDIT: After I watch one episode and move on to the next that file suddenly won't play "unable to read file" is the message I get.
The only way to fix this is to turn off my TV, turn it on again and try playing the same file 4 times, the 4th time it suddenly works.