Compatible transcoding for Xbox 360

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Compatible transcoding for Xbox 360

Post by SubJunk »

I think you can fix that buffer thing by going to the General Configuration tab and setting the "Maximum bandwidth" value to "0"
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Renderer conf for XBOX has limitation itself so you should change this line also to 0 in XBOX360.conf file:

Code: Select all

MaxVideoBitrateMbps=30
barnito

Post by barnito »

It is defaulted to that... lol
Sent before I refreshed the page

Seems this fixed it!!!!! Playing stutter free, WITH SUBS awesome! seems the CPU usage is higher than on pms 1.72 but not much more. I will test more with all 360s transcoding at the same time and let you know more... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Now if there was an easy fix for the trancode/ff,rr problem that'd be great......
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for testing, barnito! Did you change the line that ExSport mentioned, or did it work without changing it?
barnito

Post by barnito »

I had to change the xbox360 config to 0, then it worked fine.... Thank You!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Great, these changes will be in the next version :)
barnito

Post by barnito »

there is one more suggestion I have. I have 6 XBOX360s in the house and on PMS the log says xbox360 followed by the IP so I can tell which 360 is playing what, UMS only says "Started playing 04-Love's Labours Lost in Space.mp4 on your Xbox 360". Would it possible to get the old PMS log behavior back? Again, thanks for your hard work!!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I could do it for sure, but why? I think it looks nicer now and don't see any advantage in showing that extra info (which is recorded in debug.log anyway) but if you explain your reason you might change my mind :)
barnito

Post by barnito »

because there is no way to tell which person is watching things they shouldn't be because all 6 xbox360s, all have the same tag...
just a thought

opening the debug log doesn't give you realtime infos, so you have to close and reopen it to see changes..

:mrgreen:

PS. I got fed up with the way the XBOX360 handles transcoding and found a less painful solution (depending on how you look at it). I added mp4 to StreamExtensions=wma,asf,mp4 in the xbox360.conf and I am in the process of running all my MP4 and MKV files though MKVtoMP4-http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4 making them play native. The great thing is it only reencodes the audio, being the thing that makes most files not play on 360 which takes under 10 minutes for a full length h264 movie, and many times closer to 3-4 minutes. Now I can FF and RW without an issue. I figured I would share!! I loathe the MKV container. lol
riccetto

Post by riccetto »

SubJunk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm I think you can fix that buffer thing by going to the General Configuration tab and setting the "Maximum bandwidth" value to "0"
Hi! even 5 years later, this work-around is still needed to have lossless 1080p content streamed over wifi to an xbox360!!!

Thanks man!!! :oops: :D

I was going crazy trying to fix the stuttering without lost lossless video quality!