x265/HEVC files are not transcoding/playing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
andyzeo

x265/HEVC files are not transcoding/playing

Post by andyzeo »

I'm trying to play an MKV HEVC file to my samsung ES6100 TV but the UMS for OS X doesn't transcode it to a format that the TV can reproduce.

Tv only shows the information of Video Codec Unknown.

I don't know how to make UMS always force transcode HEVC/x265 files.

the GUI has an option called "Force transcoding for the following extensions (comma separated values)"

I tried setting mkv there but it didn't work anyway.

and I wouldn't like to transcode every kind of MKV, only the h.265/x265 ones, cause my TV doesn't support them

any ideas?
ums_dbg.zip
(19.49 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Sami32

Re: x265/HEVC files are not transcoding/playing

Post by Sami32 »

It seem that you didn't read the 3 first comment of the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556

So your log is just showing your renderer dtection, not very useful in your case...
Next time read carefully, and generate log only AFTER having met your issue.

To make H.265 video transcode, you just need to modify your renderer configuration file (Samsung-ES6575.conf). Setting only the video codec that are really supportrd by your renderer.
For example:

Code: Select all

Supported = f:mkv           v:h264|mp4|mpeg2           a:aac|aac-he|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|vorbis     m:video/x-matroska
As long as you don't write h265 in the video codec supported list (v:), they will be transcoded.
CodeKiller

Post by CodeKiller »

Sami32 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 am It seem that you didn't read the 3 first comment of the thread:
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/for ... ?f=9&t=556

So your log is just showing your renderer dtection, not very useful in your case...
Next time read carefully, and generate log only AFTER having met your issue.

To make H.265 video transcode, you just need to modify your renderer configuration file (Samsung-ES6575.conf). Setting only the video codec that are really supportrd by your renderer.
For example:

Supported = f:mkv           v:h264|mp4|mpeg2           a:aac|aac-he|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|vorbis     m:video/x-matroska
As long as you don't write h265 in the video codec supported list (v:), they will be transcoded.
Hello,

I have the same issue.

Honestly your answer is a bit harsh...
I don't know at all how it work and this kind of answer does not help at all with all parameter to write...

So the format NOT SUPPORTED by the TV must be DELETED from the file ?
So everything not in it will be transcoded before sent to the device ?

Thanks anyway.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Your assumption is correct. "Everything" is transcoded by default, so only format/codec combinations that is specified as SUPPORTED aren't transcoded.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

This thread is interesting to me. I need h265 and HEVC transcoded, but when I look in my UMS folder there are no *.conf files other than UMS.conf and VirtualFolders.conf. According to what I read elsewhere the Samsung-***.conf file should be in a separate folder that doesn't exist.

I have a very old Samsung DLNA TV. 11 years old. The model is "Samsung LE40C630K". According to the log it uses the Samsung C/D series.

How would I go about creating the config file in the UMS folder so I can delete h265 and HEVC from the supported list?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You're looking in the wrong place. UMS.conf is found in your "profile folder", the renderer configurations files are found in the UMS installation folder in the "renderers" subfolder.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

Nadahar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm You're looking in the wrong place. UMS.conf is found in your "profile folder", the renderer configurations files are found in the UMS installation folder in the "renderers" subfolder.
Yea, I was just directed to the wrong folder by another site. Got the list now. That's what you get for trying on your own. :P

My next problem is that the "# Supported video formats" section looks very different from the one Sami32 posted. Is that because it's 3 years old?

HEVC and H265 aren't mentioned in Samsung-CD.conf or Samsung-ES6575(which was the example Sami32 used)

instead it looks like this for Samsung-ES6575:

# Supported video formats:
Supported = f:avi             m:video/avi
Supported = f:mkv             m:video/avi
Supported = f:mov             m:video/quicktime
Supported = f:mp4             m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts   m:video/mpeg
And this for Samsung-CD(which I use):

Supported = f:avi|mkv             m:video/avi
Supported = f:flv                 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mov                 m:video/quicktime
Supported = f:mp4|mpegps|mpegts   m:video/mpeg
I'm not sure there's much to change, or if there is I'm not seeing it.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Actually it is "mentioned" in that since no video codec is specified, all are considered supported for the specified container. So, to fix it, you would have to edit the lines with containers that might contain h265 and explicitly list the codecs that are supported.

Example for Matroska:

Supported = f:mkv     v:h264|mp4|mpeg2        m:video/avi
The above example assumes of course that the renderer does support h264, MPEG-4 Visual and h264 in Matroska containers. Any MKV that doesn't match this, will be transcoded.

To make it work propertly, you should also consider adding supported audio codecs with something like this:

a:aac|aac-he|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|vorbis
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

Nadahar wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:54 am Actually it is "mentioned" in that since no video codec is specified, all are considered supported for the specified container. So, to fix it, you would have to edit the lines with containers that might contain h265 and explicitly list the codecs that are supported.

Example for Matroska:

Supported = f:mkv     v:h264|mp4|mpeg2        m:video/avi
The above example assumes of course that the renderer does support h264, MPEG-4 Visual and h264 in Matroska containers. Any MKV that doesn't match this, will be transcoded.

To make it work propertly, you should also consider adding supported audio codecs with something like this:

a:aac|aac-he|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|vorbis
To be honest I'm out of my depth, replacing lines without a replace X with Y in Z line instruction:

Supported = f:avi|mkv             m:video/avi

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:mp3   m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav   m:audio/L16

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP,ASS,TEXT,MICRODVD,WEBVTT,SAMI
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP,ASS,TEXT,MICRODVD,WEBVTT,SAMI
How would you alter these lines? As I remember it, it is mostly HEVC and H265 I have issues with.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I can't answer that because I have no idea what your TV does or doesn't support. But, if we imagine that your TV supports h264 and h262 only in MKVs, with only MP3 audio, I would make it:

Supported = f:avi                m:video/avi
Supported = f:mkv              v:mpeg2|h264       a:mp3        m:video/x-matroska 

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:mp3   m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav   m:audio/L16

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP,ASS,TEXT,MICRODVD,WEBVTT,SAMI
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP,ASS,TEXT,MICRODVD,WEBVTT,SAMI
That would only make sure that all MKVs that's not either h262 or h264 video and MP3 audio are transcoded, you would have to do this for every container/format that you wanted to correct. Combining avi and mkv one the same line makes no sense to me, so I split them up. I can't imagine a situation where they should have the same parameters, especially taking the MIME-type into consideration. All parameters are "regular expressions" (look it up if you don't know what it is), so the "|" means "or". Thus, "f:avi|mkv" means "format/container is AVI or MKV".