[solved]PS4 won't let UMS transcode

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cinephile

[solved]PS4 won't let UMS transcode

Post by cinephile »

Recently I moved from PS3 to PS4. To my disappointment the PS4 won't play MKV files with subtitles and DTS. It even won't let UMS transcode the files through Mencoder or FFmpeg. Only if I play files through "No Transcoding", most of them play. But I like to watch films in DTS and subtitles as I watch a lot of foreign language films. Can someone help me? I still use UMS 5.2.3 though because my Mac is operating on version 10.6.4 and doesn't support Java 7.
cinephile

Re: PS4 won't let UMS transcode

Post by cinephile »

I just wonder if this is a problem with the version I'm running or if I have some settings wrong. If the latter is the case, I'll upload a Log file but currently I have issues getting UMS started.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I tried to make a log file of one of the issues I'm having. As you may see I've tried to open the video file (with DTS sound) through Mencoder, which failed, and then with FFmpeg. Both failed. Then I tried it without transcoding by selecting the "No Transcoding" option which worked. On my previous PS3 I mostly watched movies with DTS sound and embedded subtitle files (usually transcoded through Mencoder).

Any ideas? Let me know if you need any other info.
Attachments
debug.log
(56.75 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Well here's an issue I'm familiar with as well.

I have'nt found a solution though.

I use the no transcoding with DTS checked in UMS and on my PS4 settings ,I use the CC function for subtitles.

This way the subtitles are streamed to the PS4 in the language you set as preference in UMS.

All is working fine without transcoding which saves your processor load.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

DTS en AC3 were both checked in UMS when I did the test with the TRACE-log.

I'll test the subtitle settings later this day.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

Still no result. I also had encoded audio passthrough for AC-3 and DTS checked but that didn't work for me either.

I also don't know what you mean by the CC for subtitles. Can you specify which setting this is?
cinephile

Re: [solved]PS4 won't let UMS transcode

Post by cinephile »

I wonder if Plex would be a good alternative for playing MKV with a DTS container.