Problem with pauses during playback

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
joshbla

Problem with pauses during playback

Post by joshbla »

hello all,

This is a recent issue that i've been having. I started using UMS when they first released it, so for a long time. I've never had this type of issue before, but just before January, all of my playbacks have been having pauses in them. The video will play fine, then a 1-2 second pause, then start up again. This will continue every 2-5 minutes, sometimes worse. It doesn't matter what type of video i try to stream, but the mkv seems to be the worst.

I have searched these forums to see if other people have been having this issue, but all of the possible solutions aren't preventing the issue. So, i'm creating this post in hopes someone can help me.

troubleshooting changes i have tried:
- earlier version of ums 5.0.0 and 2.5.0 (same issue)
- tweaked the various memory settings
- complete un-install and re-install

any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

edit: I am running ums on a PC and streaming to a PS3 on a wired connection.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(71.65 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Sami32

Re: Problem with pauses during playback

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

Set the maximum buffre size to it's original 200 MB.
Choose FFMpeg as your first video engine (not AviSynth/FFmpeg)
Try to limit your maximum bandwidth to 30 Mb/s.
Try disabling the subtitles.

Since you're using Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, are really wired or using wireless network ?
If you're using WiFi set your quality parameters accordingly in transcoding tab.

Test if you saw any improvements.

P.S. When you tell that you did a new install, did you mean a CLEAN install ?
If not, and nothing above did help you, try it.

While running UMS, check in your Windows Taskbar and check the evolution of RAM and CPU use.
As i saw nothing anormal in your log, i guess that when transcoding your computer use it's full resources.

Since you're relating this to your nex LG TV, did this issue disappear when you shutdown your LG TV ?
joshbla

Post by joshbla »

Ok, i've made the changes to the bandwidth.
AviSynth/FFmpeg isn't even enabled, and FFmpeg was already the first choice.
I've disabled subtitles

It is really a wired network and yes, it was a clean install, as well as complete removing the program from the pc in control panel.

And i'm not sending it to my LG tv, it's streaming to a Samsung tv. Did you see something in the logs concerning a LG tv?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Nothing wrong in your log.

You are telling that's related to your new LG TV, but i didn't saw any thing anormal, so i suspect your settings or your computer environnement changed since the time you reported UMS as working.

What about your CPU and RAM use while streaming ?
joshbla

Post by joshbla »

well, seems to be working better. I'll check it out for a bit and if anything comes up, i'll post it. thanks for your help