Pulling in files from External Sources

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Miklos

Pulling in files from External Sources

Post by Miklos »

There is probably an easy answer to this - it isn't possible - but thought I would ask.....

I am currently using UMS 5.2.3 - I know that this is an old version, but if it works I am loathe to tinker because I had earlier problems with UMS recognising my Marantz machine.

Is it possible to pull into the Navigation/Share Settings (Shared Folders) files (mp3, aiff, flac, etc) from an external Hard-Drive rather than those stored on the actual computer?

UMS currently streams everything beautifully that is on my computer's Hard-Drive out to my Marantz machine but I can't get anything stored elsewhere to appear in the drop-down Directory menu at Shared Folders.

I am on a Mac - if that helps (or not as the case might be).

Cheers
Madoka

Re: Pulling in files from External Sources

Post by Madoka »

Well, I'm on a PC, but it should be the same, I would think. You can add locations from external hard drives and even network locations. I actually add the drive letters of possible external drives, and they show up if connected. I can connect it after UMS is started, and just restart UMS and It will show up. If it's not connected, UMS complains in the log, but it's harmless. You can do the same with your optical drive. So the number of locations that show up for me depends on what I have on.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks Modoka & squadjot for your input.

Following the instructions at 'viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7708' I was able to identify the external drive OK and select FOLDERS.

Both FLAC & MP3 read fine but AIFF files don't seem to be streamed over - message on the Marantz reads FILE FORMAT ERROR.

Is it because I am using an older version of UMS that AIFF files don't seem to be recognised?

Or are AIFF's not recognised, fullstop!

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Miklos
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Hi Sami32

How do I post a sample file in this message? Can't load the aiff file direct into the message unfortunately.

'aiff' files just don't register (this is the case on both external USB Hard-Drives or the Mac's own Hard-Drive).

I don't have any problem retrieving MP3, FLAC or WAV files from External or on the Mac's HD.

Cheers
Miklos
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Do you mean that your AIFF files doesn't play from your USB plugged in your Marantz ?

What do you mean by AIFF files doesn't register ? You cannot see or play them on your MAC ? your cannot see them in UMS ?

For posting an little AIFF file here, you'll need to attach it with a fake supported extension as .txt for example.
Or if it's too big, post the link where it can be downloaded as Wetransfer for example.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks for your reply, Sami32

Do you mean that your AIFF files doesn't play from your USB plugged in your Marantz ?

All formats (including AIFF) play fine when plugged directly into the Marantz via a USB stick, I-Pod, etc.

What do you mean by AIFF files doesn't register ? You cannot see or play them on your MAC ? your cannot see them in UMS ?

AIFF files plays OK on the Mac. When locating folders containing AIFF files via UMS - they appear greyed out.

Attached (hope the fake extension works!) is a typical AIFF file that isn't recognised (FILE FORMAT ERROR message) when trying to access it via UMS through my Marantz machine.

Cheers
Miklos
Variations on a Theme of Corelli.aiff.txt
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 447 times
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Does the file play with the [No Encoding] option from the #--transcode--# folder?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Thank you for the sample Miklos. It look standard, well formed file to me, so it's look like your log will be helpfull.

Just follow these simple steps and post your full TRACE log:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556

As i saw other similar issue like that only for MAC users, that could be a specific issue that will need your log as i'm don't own a MAC for testing it myself...
Last edited by Sami32 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.