Subtitle Styling

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
M.Sadegh.M

Subtitle Styling

Post by M.Sadegh.M »

Hello everyone

My TV is Samsung 48ju6000 and I'm using J6200.conf file for my TV.
My TV support .srt subtitle by default as defined in .conf settings.

Code: Select all

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,MICRODVD,SAMI,SUBRIP
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,SUBRIP,VOBSUB
I defined a special subtitle styling in UMS but it's not effective and didn't work.
font, style, color and etc... Is shown as default in TV and there are very limited and I want use different font and color.

How should I force TV to use the style I define In UMS or maybe it's UMS problem that couldn't force TV.

I would appreciate any help you could provide.
Thank you. :geek:
Madoka

Re: Subtitle Styling

Post by Madoka »

If your TV supports .srt subtitles, UMS just sends the subtitles over, and the TV does the rendering of the subtitle, so you would need to use the TV settings to change that. You could force transcode the video over, then it should use your UMS settings if you've set it to use styled subs in the FFmpeg settings.
M.Sadegh.M

Post by M.Sadegh.M »

Madoka wrote:If your TV supports .srt subtitles, UMS just sends the subtitles over, and the TV does the rendering of the subtitle, so you would need to use the TV settings to change that. You could force transcode the video over, then it should use your UMS settings if you've set it to use styled subs in the FFmpeg settings.
Hello and thank you.

Madoka when I change setting file and remove .srt from subtitle that my TV support UMS transcode video file with problem.

when I use default setting file and for example play a x265 .mkv file and check file info in TV :
file extension is mkv and x-matroska.

but when remove .srt from setting to force UMS transcode sub, file extension has changed to mpeg and I can't seek in video and I faced with 3 or more seconds lag between voice and picuture.

I remove subrip from setting file like this

Code: Select all

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,MICRODVD,SAMI
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,VOBSUB
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

You don't have to edit the render's configuration file...you can just Show the Transcode folder in the options, and then you can have full control over what UMS does.

When transcoding having the file sent over as mpeg is not unexpected, but the A/V sync issue is troubling. Are you wired or wireless? If you're wireless, that may have something to do with it. Also, not being able to FF/RW is also not uncommon when transcoding. At one point, it's what you are willing to give up for your styled subs.
M.Sadegh.M

Post by M.Sadegh.M »

My PC connected to the router with a cable and the TV connect to router wirelessly.

Please Help me to Configure UMS and transcode just .srt file not video file.
Evert time I try to forced UMS transcode .srt file, UMS transcodes video file too (mpeg) and the same mentioned problem appeared.
today I browsing in forum and find these topics that are similar to my problem and when UMS transcode video file this problem happened.
as users said I think there is a problem between UMS and samsung J series.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8613
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8056

Thank you. :)
Last edited by M.Sadegh.M on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Transcoding the subtitles will also transcode the video. You can't do one without the other.

In reading the threads, you may be out of luck.