Issues with PS4 and subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SergioBigRed

Issues with PS4 and subtitles

Post by SergioBigRed »

Hi,

I am using UMS 6.5.3 and I have the following issues with subititles

- Transcode of an MKV with internal subtitles is saturating my PC resources, whereas if I use Live Subtitles or I download external subtitles and put them in the same directory the CPU usage is lower.
- Subtitles works in a very random manner. Sometimes using FFMPEG and/or Mencoder I receiver a message that I cannot play the content. I try again and it works.
- Live subtitles seems not to work. Even with files I already watched with live subtitles, if I close and open again the UMS, it seems it is not able to find the subtitles and says when I browse the Live Subtitles folder that "there are no subtitles"

My PC is a dual core e8400 3ghz overclocked to 3.6Ghz, 4gb of ram , Win 10.

The MKV file has a 1080p AVC video stream, encoded at 5 142 kb/s.

The internal subtitle file is a plain TXT file

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!
SergioBigRed

Re: Issues with PS4 and subtitles

Post by SergioBigRed »

Hi,

sorry for not putting the debug files, I was hoping it could be something known :cry:

NOSUBS.ZIP
Case in which an external subtitles is not downloaded for a specifi content even if in a previous occasion it was downloaded. The folder LIVE SUBTITLES shows no files even if in a previous run they were available. This seems random and I need several restarts to see the subtitles

EXTERNALYES
In this case, the file has embedded subtitles. In some case they are shown when I do TRANSCODE an select the subtitles. Here, usign FFMPEG, I got an error saying the file is invalid. Again, it seems to be completly random. In some cases even without restart, it is just enoguh to go back to the content and it starts. Anyway, even if it starts, it occupies a lot of CPU power and on my systems starts to lag.
Immediately after that I selected again to use FFMPEG from transcoding using the external subtitles and it started and went smoothly till the end.

I didn't try MENCODER because on my system is slower than FFMPEG

My PC is a dual core e8400 3ghz overclocked to 3.6Ghz, 4gb of ram , Win 10.

The MKV file has a 1080p AVC video stream, encoded at 5 142 kb/s, the internal subtitle file is a plain TXT file: see the Mediainfo.txt

Any help will be appreciated!
Attachments
NoSubs.zip
(62.95 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
mediainfo.txt
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
ExternalYes.zip
(81.4 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

change your audio/subtitle configuration as following:

Code: Select all

en,eng;it,off;*,eng;*,und
Replace your renderer by that one:
Sony-PlayStation4.conf
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 1082 times
- If you get issue, try to select the "Force external subtitles" option in the "Subtitles settings" tab, and deselect "Defer to MEncoder when transcoding problematic subtitles" from FFmpeg video engine options found under the "Transcoding Settings" tab.

As i'm not familiar with Live subtitles, so i didn't really go deeper.

That's said, many of your subtitles don't have the same name as the video (mainly coming from Addic7ed via RARG), and so will not work with UMS. You'll need to rename them.

EDIT: Please, don't forget to leave feedback ;)
Last edited by Sami32 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
SergioBigRed

Post by SergioBigRed »

Hi,

thanks for you reply, I did the changes and will test in the following days and get back here.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the settings you changes on PS4, could they be permanent part of PS4.conf files or do I have to change everytime in the future those settings by hand?

These two settings what do they do exactly?

SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP

I notice also your comments about renaming the subtitles, I know that, the files yous saw are just attempt to download different files from Addic7ed and Opensubtitles looking for the right ones ;)

Thanks again

Sergio
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

sorry, try that one instead, as it also contain a workaround for a known bug that you met:
Sony-PlayStation4.conf
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times
To answer you, it will deal with your subtitle support. AFAIK, PS4 support SRT subtitles files, so UMS will stream them directky to your PS4 without using your CPU power to transcode your full movies.

Could you post the MediaInfo log, as you already did, for this video: Outlander.S01E01.HDTV.x264-2HD.mp4
As it seem that UMS have some parsing issue with it.

Thank you.

Note: That's said, this bug's workaround will give you issue while trying to play H264 videos having a level > 4.2. Not the most popular though, so you should deal with it until we fix this bug without too much secondary effect, hopefully...

As the purpose is to solve your CPU issue first, you'll certainly don't get any internal SRT subtitles display on your PS4, or i'll be very surprise if you do ;)
Don't forget to report back if CPU use is fine and external subtitles play correctly, and they display italic subtitle as well.
After that, we'll care of internal subtitles.
SergioBigRed

Post by SergioBigRed »

Hi,

I see ver 6.6 is out, should I use the same last .conf file you posted with this version?

I tested the new .conf file yesterday and it seems to me it transcoded the file (see attachment) with an external SRT file.

If I have to use thsis .conf file with 6.6, I will do some other tests and get back to you.

I didn't add the mediainfo file because that video file is corrupted and I can't even open it (I can't even remember how it ended up there...)

Thanks!

Sergio
Attachments
Outlander.S01E09.txt
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi Sergio,

Sorry, i'm not sure to understood you, and not being an english native didn't help.

1) Did you mean that now, with this new renderer, your CPU is not overloaded anymore ?
2) Did you mean that your external subtitle displayed fine on your renderer ? with italic style as well ?
3) What happen when you try with a movie having only internal subtitle ?

Could you, please, post your trace log while using this new renderer and viewing the problematic movie ?

To answer your question, though i cannot be sure before having seen your log, you'll need this renderer until you give me positive feedback and after that only this renderer could be merged to the UMS master branch for the next version.