UMS hang / javaw.exe keeps increasing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
EventHorizon

UMS hang / javaw.exe keeps increasing

Post by EventHorizon »

So, I moved from UMS 6.5.3 on a physical Win7 Pro install (which worked fine) to a Vmware Win7 Pro install, which works fine...up to a point. I'm running it in interactive mode (not as a service) for now, as I'd rather try getting it working as a service once it works reliably in interactive mode. As this is a VM in testing on my ESX/i install, I've just turned off the firewall completely so I don't have to worry about fiddling with firewall rules (I'll change that later).

After several hours of UMS running, it becomes unresponsive (can no longer interact with the window) - I have to three finger salute to get to task manager to kill the javaw.exe process (which usually has increased to 2GB by that point).

In checking the debug.log, although there's a TON of hashing going on of files in the background, the log shows that for several hours there are just 'alive' messages and repeated detections of my PS3 renderer - but nothing to indicate an any errors as to why the front end stops responding. Change to the beta version (700-a1), and it has the same problem. The debug.log (after an evening of running) is about 40MB in size. I'm not running out of resources in the VM (4 cores, 8GB RAM) according to vCenter/vSphere on my host either.

In comparison, the PS3 Media Server I have running (at the same time) uses 200MB of RAM consistenly, and doesn't hang/crash. On the same system, mind you, they're just running on different ports (UMS at 5002, PMS at 5001).

Any suggestions?