UMS can't find my device and my device can't find UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
afreshmelon

UMS can't find my device and my device can't find UMS

Post by afreshmelon »

First up, restarting in Trace mode doesn't work (it throws a Java Exception) - so I have no trace logs. I have the regular log, but there are no binding errors.

I run UMS on macOS Sierra and I'm trying to access the server using Xbox One Media Player App.

Neither one finds the other, UMS does not show the Xbox as a client and the Xbox does not find the server.

I verified that the network interface is correct.

About the devices:

MacBook Pro Late 2012
macOS Sierra
UMS 6.6.0
Wireless network connection

Xbox One S
Latest OS
Media Player (app)
Wired network connection (to router directly)

Any ideas? Thanks!

PS. UMS discovers the MacBook itself as a unknown renderer device.
Sami32

Re: UMS can't find my device and my device can't find UMS

Post by Sami32 »

After having set to TRACE and crash, you can manually copy and post/attach your debug.log from there:
/Users/name-of-user/Library/Application Support/UMS/debug.log
If your library folder isn't showing then press CMD+J to bring up your finder view options and tick the box to show library folder.

Without log we are blind. Generally when users report such kind of issues, it's their firewall configuration fault, though their router or network configuration can be involved as well.
The first and easy test will be to disable your firewall to see if that's the root of your issue.

I'm not familiar at all with Mac OS, but if you really have received a Java exception, that should be very useful to see it: log, screen capture...
Surprisingly you say that only "Trace" mode is giving you this error, so you can also try with "Error" or "All" mode.