Videos defualt to mpeg not AVC UMS 6.60 ps3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jp0213x

Re: Videos defualt to mpeg not AVC UMS 6.60 ps3

Post by jp0213x »

First let me ask, is there a difference in video quality with AVC vs mpeg2? With previous versions of UMS such as 5.13, a majority of videos would play AVC according to the ps3, only when I enabled subs UMS would automatically default ffmpeg to transcode video with subs. Some how UMS knew to play every video with AVC and if it could not, it would use the next best video engine if this make sense. In some rare cases I would have to manually have to choose the correct engine from the transcode folder to play the video. If that doesn't make sense then my logs will show you better. This is the reason why I haven't upgraded in a while because I would get different results with different version of UMS, little minor fixes for other devices, would break something with my setup. I only have 2 ps3's and A720 Yamaha receiver that I use with UMS
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Normally yes, but UMS create an MPEG-2 container file with x264 video codec, AFAIK.

It's hardcoded in UMS and has changed since. You can discuss about that with Subjunk, as it's a PS3 owner and the guy that make this code change, and generally PS3 and videos changes.
Before merging the change, he well test if that work best. I'm not owner or familiar with PS3 myself.

As everything look fine to me now, i will leave you with your UMS version choice ;)
Last edited by Sami32 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
jp0213x

Post by jp0213x »

Thanks for all your help!!