How to get image thumbnails?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
excaliburr

How to get image thumbnails?

Post by excaliburr »

Hi

None of my upnp browsers shows any thumbnails for the images that I browse from the ums instance. I tried bubleupnp, kodi etc but none shows any thumbnails for images. I have thumbnails for videos but not for images.

I am using it on Debian Linux.

thanks
excaliburr

Re: How to get image thumbnails?

Post by excaliburr »

The web serber that runs on 9001 does not even have thumbs for images. I have generate thumbnails enabled too. Is this a bug? Do I need a specific tool to generate thumbs for images?

What is weird is that, everytime I start UMS it remodifies the UMS.conf that resides in the user config folder and removes the generate thumnbail option. That option norally is in the UMS.conf that resides in where the binary is.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

Something is wrong in your configuration, so if you don't mind, just do a UMS clean install and everything should be fine. There are the steps to follow.

Though i don't know if you run it as GUI or service, one or multi instances and what kind of images formats you have...and that can point to the root of your issue more precisely.
That is the purpose of the forum rules write in red above your post; so if you still get issue just follow them.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

Sami32

I actually deleted my config and started from scratch and enabled thumbnails (also edited the config later to get the image thumbnails) and I still cant get them working. I even deleted my database to force a fresh one.

I tried Oracle Java8 and also Debian's own default java without success ;( I have mix image formats, i get thumbnails but just empty generic thumbnails.

I used it with gui, headless etc.

Please bear in mind that video thumbnails work.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

I suspected something like that. So desinstall UMS GUI and service, and reinstall only the GUI following the steps i linked you.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

@Sami32

I did not install it, I am using it from the uncompressed folder. Anyways I deleted the whole user config folder to force fresh everything and started everything from scratch which made me go through the initial setup and I still cant get image thumbnails. On the otherhand I have another instance of Ums running on Debian WHeezy32(using java8) and that one has thumbnails ;(

I tried Oracle Java8 and the Debian's openJdk8 with no success. My system might be missing some crucial tool needed for thumbnails.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

If you want more help, you'll need to follow the forum rules as asked.

EDIT: When you say you deleted your user config, i guess that you still have the UMS service installed
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

Sami32 wrote:
EDIT: When you say you deleted your user config, i guess that you still have the UMS service installed

I guess I am not articulating it well. I did not install anything, no installation or services are installed or created. I just unzipped the download and run the UMS.sh from command line. So in theory deleting my user config (~/.config/UMS/) should give me a fresh "install" which does because in that case it goes through the initial setup afterwards.

I wonder if this is an issue with running it on an x64 bit operating system. The same Ums works fine with thumbnails on x32.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Sorry, i'm not an english native and you"re not on the Linux section of the forum.

As i'm not familiar with Linux and don't have any log for work, i cannot help you.