UMS not visible from Windows 7 VLC Media Player

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
acoustics4audio

Re: UMS not visible from Windows 7 VLC Media Player

Post by acoustics4audio »

@Sami32 My apologies for not being more clear about the issues I am having. I am completely impressed by anyone that communicates in languages other than their native language.

I don't know what the behavior is supposed to look like when using UMS from a Windows machine. On my Android Pixel using VLC, the UMS server appears as a choice in the Local Network as a upnp Network favorite and as a UMS server in the shared folders. Everything works as expected.

When I try to open the server from VLC using the File menu is get this:

The UMS server isn't listed in any of the options. I can play files from Android so I suspect that the firewall on the server machine is configured correctly. I have set the firewall on the client renderer Windows 10 machine to allow VLC all access.

If I am trying to open UMS from a browser, is there any way to browse and play media? Do I need to change the protocol? For instance is I browse to: http://10.0.0.105:5001/console/index.html there doesn't appear to be any link to browse the media files.

If you click on Scan Folders then you get:
but nothing else happens.

I will try to get in touch with @Nadahar to see if there might be a networking setting that is incorrect.

Thanks again!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@acoustics4audio For using the web interface you need to use the 9001 port ;)
http://192.168.1.28:9001/ and click on the big UMS icon.

Note: If you've installed UMS as a Windows service, and use the GUI as well, you'll need to desinstall one of the both, as running the 2 at the same time will give issue.

EDIT: In few days you'll have a new UMS 6.7.0 version with the web interface access from the GUI.
acoustics4audio

Oooooohhhhhh!

Port 9001!

:D

(this may be a bad joke for non-native speakers, but...)

I'm not as think as you stupid I am.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@acoustics4audio Don't worry, misunderstanding is happen in every language.
It's maybe why we have popular expression that said that an image is better than thousand words ;)

It's explain why i didn't saw anything related to UMS interface in your log, so i just thought that you didn't used it before saving the log...

About VLC, it seem that you're not using it correctly.
Go in « View » then in « Playlist ». Select the option « Universal Plug n Play » (in Local Network) from the left.
On the right, you'll see UMS appear, wait some time until VLC have scanned the whole UMS library, and then you'll be able to navigate inside it.

Hoping that helped.

EDIT: If that solved your issue, please, add [SOLVED] in front of your issue title from your first post in that tread. Thanks.
acoustics4audio

That is EXACTLY what was happening. I was starting VLC not in the playlist view and so there was no way to see the UMS server or Universal Plug n Play Local Network. I actually just started to figure it out when I got your reply.

I have a suspicion that my main problem is that all of the players out there are now primarily video players and so they are focused on using the screen real estate for the video instead of using it for the playlist of audio files. So the default UI is geared towards the video.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! Please let me know if you need any audio engineering or acoustics help on the project. I have very good ears and a strong ability to differentiate audio quality comparisons between lossless and perceptual encoding.

Cheers!