Insane bitrates

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
yannsolo2001

Insane bitrates

Post by yannsolo2001 »

Hi,
I'm using UMS to stream blu-ray mkvs on my video projector. So I'd like to keep everything lossless. Most of the time I'm very pleased with the results I get from my settings. But on some blu-rays, the bitrate rises above 300Mbs! As a result the stream starts to lag. So I'm wondering if my setting is good. I guess the transcoder is to greedy. I've selected "remux with TsMuxeR when possible instead of transcoding" and selected "lossless" in video and audio menus as much as I could. But I wish I could find a simple "passthrough" option...
Any ideas?
yannsolo2001

Re: Insane bitrates

Post by yannsolo2001 »

I forgot to mention. I'm playing blu-ray rips, so there's nothing wrong with the files. The bitrate is around 35Mbs. But when I play the same file on UMS, it can reach 300Mbs!
yannsolo2001

Re: Insane bitrates

Post by yannsolo2001 »

OK, I think I know what the problem is, but I have no idea how to resolve it.

The files are mkvs. So UMS is actually transcoding h264 to mpeg2. How can I make sure UMS will only unwrap what is contained in the mkv and just stream it? I've written "mkv" in the "Don't transcode the following extensions", but it doesn't help. I've activated "remux if possible with tsMuxeR instead of trancoding" but it doesn't help either. I'm streaming with MEncoder as FFmpeg won't stream the files.