PS3 MKV random pausing issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Edgeworth

PS3 MKV random pausing issues

Post by Edgeworth »

So when I try to watch MKVs on my PS3, they need to be transcoded, and I'm experiencing some random pausing in the video using the latest version of UMS. I was also experiencing this with PMS 1.90.1, or whatever the latest stable version is.

Whenever it happens, the video pauses for a random amount of time, which seems to be between less than a second, and 5 seconds. I don't believe it's been longer than that. I don't see anything strange happening on UMS's status tab, or at least nothing I recognize as strange. Peak bitrate never breaks 100, with 84 being the highest I've seen it.

I've tried altering max transcode buffer size, number of threads, changing transcoding quality, everything I've been able to find online. Nothing has made any difference, as far as I can tell. It definitely still pauses at some point.

I've noticed I don't get the problem with my tablet, but it's using VLC to play the video, and doesn't need it transcoded, so I don't think that's much help.

It used to work just fine, and in fact I've watched some episodes of a show I watched previously; I had 0 issues when I first watched them, but now I get the pausing issues. I'd been using that version of PMS pretty much since it came out, and hadn't had any issues until recently.

The PS3 has no issues playing MP4s, which leads me to believe it's something in the transcoding process that's causing these pauses.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The forum wouldn't let me attach the zip containing the debug files, so I uploaded them to mediafire, http://www.mediafire.com/file/qfay01vwh ... ms_dbg.zip. I paused the video and packed the log files 5 or so seconds after the random pause occurred. I'd really appreciate any help that can be offered!