Can't get smooth streaming.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
coolbeans

Can't get smooth streaming.

Post by coolbeans »

Okay, so I just installed UMS v7.0.0-b2 over a fresh copy of Win 10 Pro. I am streaming to a PS4 over wired home network. I tried streaming some video tonight and it was terrible. The video would stutter, or rather freeze momentarily, through busy sequences. Difficult to enjoy something when it keeps freezing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. Sorry I don't have a log to share. As you can guess, it's a problem difficult to predict.
Nadahar

Re: Can't get smooth streaming.

Post by Nadahar »

@coolbeans It's very hard to say without a log. You could just start UMS in trace mode and use it normally until the problem manifests itself. That said, stuttering when there's a lot happening typically comes down to one of two things: 1) Too low network bandwidth 2) Too weak CPU. If the video you're watching is transcoded (something the log would reveal), it can stutter if you're CPU can't keep up. If you're not transcoding (the source format is one supported by your renderer), only the network bandwidth can cause this.

As such it is interesting to know if you still have to problem when not transcoding. That would effectively determine if the problem is with your network or your CPU. In either case, it's not really something UMS can do something about, your CPU needs to be able to handle transcoding in real time for transcoding to work, and your network needs to be fast enough to transfer the content.

@virginia12

If PMS does what you need, that's fine. Its simply not true that UMS "doesn't work". Thousands of users are using it, so that's a given. The desciption you give about what's not working is very vague to me, and doesn't give any information that can be used to track down the problem. If you submit debug files as described in red above, we might be able to help. The most likely reason for problems is that the renderer configuration file isn't correct for your renderer. This file describes what your renderer can handle of formats and codecs, and some other settings.