UMS keeps crashing aftyer running for long periods of time

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
phrozenstare

UMS keeps crashing aftyer running for long periods of time

Post by phrozenstare »

Hello everyone,

I have been using UMS for a long time now but i am having a big problem with it now in that if i leave it running for long periods of time it will hang to the point i have to end java in task manager to close it. also sometimes it will crash outright where when i try to click on the systray icon it will disappear. it never crashes when i am in the middle of streaming with it just only happens when it is idle. I have had this issue with the latest and previous version of UMS. i am running UMS with windows 10 and the java 8 update 131 and had these issues before and after the windows 10 creators update.
phrozenstare

Re: UMS keeps crashing aftyer running for long periods of time

Post by phrozenstare »

bump
phrozenstare

Post by phrozenstare »

i believe i found the issue finally. i managed to get into UMS once when it was using a lot of memory even though it was performing slowly and the logs mentioned it was trying to download cover art for my music library and it kept getting out of memory errors on all the entries it was trying to download cover art for. so disabling downloading cover art from archive soled my issue with the program crashing and become non responsive. i am not sure if this was some kind of bug with the cover art download feature or my music library is too big for UMS to handle
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I won't claim that there isn't a memory bug with the cover art downloading, but there's a broader issue that causes UMS to consume more and more memory as time goes by. It's not a traditional memory-leak (the references to the memory aren't lost), but a design problem. Basically, the metadata for every resource you browse or scan will be kept in memory until UMS is restarted. If you browse from multiple renderers, one set of metadata will be kept per media item per renderer. The reason you notice a difference when turning off the cover art download is probably that they thumbnail for each resource is kept as a part of the metadata, and when you turn it off generic icons will be used in most instances (which isn't cached multiple times).

There is no way to fix this but to do a very fundamental redesign of UMS. I don't know if/when that will be done. The "best" workaround for now is to restart UMS at regular intervals (it could be automated using cron, scheduler etc). There is no graceful way to shut down UMS on Windows unless it's running as a service. On Linux, it should work to send a sigterm signal and wait until it has terminated.