how to disable transcoding

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
nafizur

how to disable transcoding

Post by nafizur »

Hi guys,

I'm new here and first time user of USM. I have a synology NAs and all my videos are there. I mapped my videos and everything, but i want to ensure that USM doesn't transcode any of my videos. I want my NAS to do all the work. The NAS has a pretty powerful CPU. So, how can i make sure and disable transcoding from my USM on my MAC?

thanks,
nafi
valib
Developer

Re: how to disable transcoding

Post by valib »

I don't understand your question. Why do you use UMS when you want to use your NAS to do that job?
nafizur

Post by nafizur »

the media is stored in the nas. the USM is on my mac, so if i don't use USM, my TV won't see all the media via DLNA.. but what i don't want is USM starts to transcode the video and send it to my TV, what i want is USM to just send the media as RAW video and let the TV do all the transcoding.

Sorry, i think on my original post, i wrote that i want the nAS to do the transcoding. I meant to say that my TV will do the transcoding and all i want USM to do is act as a DLNA and send the video as it to my TV and let the TV do all the decoding for audio and video.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

nafizur wrote:the media is stored in the nas. the USM is on my mac, so if i don't use USM, my TV won't see all the media via DLNA.. but what i don't want is USM starts to transcode the video and send it to my TV, what i want is USM to just send the media as RAW video and let the TV do all the transcoding.

Sorry, i think on my original post, i wrote that i want the nAS to do the transcoding. I meant to say that my TV will do the transcoding and all i want USM to do is act as a DLNA and send the video as it to my TV and let the TV do all the decoding for audio and video.
Doesn't your NAS has UPNP/miniDLNA as a feature (or the ability to install as an additional module?) That will be the easiest way...
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

OK If I understand you well your TV doesn't see all media from your NAS so not all media are supported by your TV. In that case unsupported media must be transcoded. Which of them will be streamed and which will be transcoded is set in the particular renderer(TV).conf.

EDIT To help you we need more information. Is your renderer corectly recognized by UMS? If not please follow instruction at http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1 and also How to ask for support