4.0.x and FFMPEG no Longer an Option

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
tmk

4.0.x and FFMPEG no Longer an Option

Post by tmk »

Hi:

Since 4.0.0 (and beyond) I no longer have the option to play MKV files (I use MKV exclusively), only mencoder is available. 3.6.x works as expected.

I've created a new UMS.conf file based on the one packaged with 4.0.3 and still no joy.

Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions? debug log attached; platform specs in signature.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
debug.log
debug log
(13.18 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Server Platform: Linux Xubuntu 14.04 (LTS)
Renderer: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5100
pen

Re: 4.0.x and FFMPEG no Longer an Option

Post by pen »

I haven't tired 4.0 yet on my Ubuntu. But it seems like you have a pretty new ffmpeg. Did you use the same ffmpeg for the 3.6? Or have you changed them both at the same time.

Pen
Server Ubuntu 12.04, Renderer Samsung 46D6300
tmk

Post by tmk »

Good thought Pen, but going back and forth between 364 and 4.xx, still 364 displays and plays as before - 4xx no joy with displaying ffmpeg. Now on 413, still no joy; 364 working like a champ.

One other tidbit I just thought of, I'm using OpenJDK. Maybe I should try Oracle Java...hmm, maybe when I have some time to experiment.

Guess there's no true need to upgrade, but I would like to default to ffmpeg as it does render better (digging through to the transcode folder is minor inconvenience).
pen

Post by pen »

So, now I have tried 4.1.2 and it works with the same ffmpeg as I used before. However, I have built an ffmpeg of my own. I do not use the default one in Ubuntu and neither the one embedded in UMS. Non of them worked for all my use cases.

It seems like you are not using the ffmpeg embedded with UMS. You are missing a number of libs in your build compared to 4.1.2. I think you should at least try the embedded one and see if it works.

Add to the config file:
ffmpeg_path = /usr/local/bin/UMS/linux/ffmpeg
or whatever path you have to the embedded ffmpeg
and give it a try.

Pen
tmk

Post by tmk »

Thanks Pen, I indeed did try the UMS bundled ffmpeg to no avail. When you say "You are missing a number of libs in your build compared to 4.1.2", can you elaborate? I have (I thought) enabled most, if not all, relevant ffmpeg features. I would be curious to know your compile command and the version of ffmpeg you are using (I try to stay on the latest 2.x.x - currently 2.4.2). Below is the command that I use:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
  --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 \
  --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab --enable-libvpx && \
make -j 12 && \
sudo checkinstall --pakdir=.. --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion="6:2.4.2-$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git" \
--backup=no --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default && \
hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay ffprobe
Cheers!
pen

Post by pen »

Here is my build:

Code: Select all

PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/Projects/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
./configure --prefix="$HOME/Projects/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_build" --extra-cflags="-I$HOME/Projects/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_build/include" \
   --extra-ldflags="-L$HOME/Projects/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_build/lib" --bindir="$HOME/bin" --extra-libs="-ldl" --enable-static \
   --disable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libmp3lame \
   --enable-librtmp --enable-libopus \
   --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-version3 \
   --enable-libfreetype --enable-fontconfig --enable-openssl --disable-yasm
make
make install
make distclean
hash -r
In particular I needed the libass to be able to play mkv with embedded subtitles and openssl to play HLS.

Pen
tmk

Post by tmk »

Thanks Pen, will give it a try. On a similar front I did find a ppa that stays current with the latest 4.x.x and it did require a few additional libs, but alas still no joy. I wonder if there is something about 14.04 - I have noticed some weirdness with other java apps that I didn't experience with 13.10. Oh well, not a huge deal, just an interesting challenge to figure it out.

Thanks for your input - Cheers!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Apart from OpenSSL support, does this build work? http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ ... tic.tar.xz
pen

Post by pen »

By the way my Java is:

java version "1.7.0_55"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.7) (7u55-2.4.7-1ubuntu1~0.12.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Can you please test the build I linked, pen? It actually has libgnutls which should allow secure connections