UMS can't be detected over 2 router network by ps3?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cnrhus

UMS can't be detected over 2 router network by ps3?

Post by cnrhus »

Hi there,
I'm having trouble connecting UMS to a ps3 with a wired connection (because otherwise there's skipping) over a network with 2 routers. For reference I've attached an image below to allow for a clear picture of my setup. When the ps3 connects to the network via the wired connection, it cannot see the UMS being run on the computer.
I found this thread, which recommended disabling the DCHP on what in my setup is the asus router, but it both did not solve the issue with UMS, but also disabled my 2 wireless networks being controlled by the asus router.

Is there any way to make UMS visible with this setup, and if possible still allow me to run my wireless network via the asus router? Thanks :)
Attachments
ums-network.png
ums-network.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 15224 times
Madoka

Re: UMS can't be detected over 2 router network by ps3?

Post by Madoka »

Can't you plug the PS3 into the Asus?
jj123

Post by jj123 »

You're PC and ps3 are most likely ending up on two different subnets.

Make sure that each device is on the same subnet,

so for example

Router 1: 192.168.0.1
Router 2: 192.168.0.2
PS3: 192.168.0.3
PC: 192.168.0.4

All with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

Madoka:
thanks for the suggestion. the layout of the room more or less prevents that from happening.

jj123:
That's a good idea, i just have no idea how to do it. What I did try was deactivating the DNS on the comcast router, but that neither helped the UMS issue, but it also created other problems. Is there some resource you know of on how to do that?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I've had a network with 2 different routers. I had to do exactly what jj123 suggested. I also set up static IP address to all my main devices so that there would be no confusion of the main devices. I only had the gateway router do DHCP for the occasional mobile device. It's not hard to give static IP addresses to your devices.
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

Madoka:
which do you consider the gateway router. I tried putting my comcast router in bridge mode, but it didn't work by itself anyway. Again, I hope to be able to maintain the asus router as the primary hub, and the comcast router as a bridge/gateway
twistedLucidity

Post by twistedLucidity »

Yeah, different subnets is probably the problem. The DLNA broadcast won't normally propagate across them.

I have two subnets at home for various reasons and and trying to find the time to see if IGMP-Proxy can be used to pass the broadcast across the subnets. Once they see each other; everything should work (I've opened the relevant ports between the two).

Long Ethernet cables are only a few £ and might be the simplest answer (connect PS3 to router).

Static IPs (added on the router per-MAC address) can also reduce confusion when sorting things out.
jj123

Post by jj123 »

cnrhus , if you can update your diagram with the current IP details that each device currently has:
So for each device please provide the following:
IP address:
Subnet mask:
Gateway IP address:

Once I know that information I'll write you a little step by step guide on which of your devices need configuring in order to get things working.
cnrhus

Post by cnrhus »

jj123, thanks for taking the time. I've attached the image which features what I think are the correct numbers. I wasn't able to find the Gateway IP address on the asus router and the ps3.

Before you start however, I'll note that I tried using UMS with a tablet device (ipad mini) and the experince was smooth as butter. This was over the wireless. So before continuing I believe that the issue is with the ps3 somehow, or at least with my files. granted, i knew some files would be skippy and I've always attempted to compensate (converting mkv to mp4 etc) however this time there is consistent stutter on only 300mb video files. Meanwhile I've experienced smooth frames on files over 2gigs. If it's not the wireless network, what else could it be? Thanks for the help!
Attachments
ums-network.png
ums-network.png (5.86 KiB) Viewed 15187 times
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I'm not 100% sure (but 90%) but DLNA(SSDP) uses multicast to detect devices. And normally multicast messages has a TTL of 1 or 2 to avoid them being spread over the networks. You should have the PS3 and the server plugged to the SAME router/switch.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.